Location: United States
Employment Type: Full Time
Hi, we’re Gravie. Our mission is to improve the way people purchase and access healthcare through innovative, consumer-centric health benefit solutions that people can actually use. Our industry-changing products and services are developed and delivered by a diverse group of unique people. We encourage you to be your authentic self - we like you that way.
If you’re dreaming about how you can use an awesome tech stack to disrupt an industry... Gravie could be the place for you. AWS native since we started, we use functional programming with autonomous, cross-functional teams to build fast and deliver impact. Gravie is at that sweet spot, checking the boxes for both excellent technology and making a huge splash in the insurance industry.
What does it take to thrive as a Senior Data Engineer at Gravie? You need both deep technical data engineering skills, broad cross-functional skills to innovate and own creative data solution development. You should be curious, and eager to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. As part of Gravie’s engineering organization, our data team uses engineering delivery standards and practices to build and operate our core data infrastructure to support the reporting, analytics, and data science needs of our business users.
You are likely to be self-driven, enjoy working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, and want to use a modern data engineering stack to solve challenging problems—with a long-term vision to create a data driven organization.
· Create data pipelines and operate data infrastructure to ingest data from various sources into Gravie’s data estate.
· Lead the creation of data models, architecture, and be hands-on with development and release of efficient & reliable pipelines that balance performance, cost, fit to business requirements, and security.
· Operate and enhance Gravie’s AWS CDK-provisioned data infrastructure, to enable data ingestion from a variety of sources using SQL, Python, and core AWS data technologies (Redshift, Glue, EMR, Lambda).
· Act as a data architect to understand various source applications, data standards, and how to integrate them with other source applications.
· Identify opportunities for internal process improvement such as automating manual processes or optimizing data delivery and infrastructure for greater scalability. Design a POC and implement a solution.
· Passionate about data, data quality, access, and governance to create accurate high-performance performance data assets that are easy to consume.
· Mentor junior team members, regularly lead code reviews and solution design workshops.
· Excel at collaborating with data vendors and design creative solutions to potentially rigid constraints on source data.
· Demonstrate commitment to our core competencies of being authentic, curious, creative, empathetic and outcome oriented.
· 4+ years of experience building, optimizing, testing, and orchestrating data integrations, pipelines, and cloud architectures using modern technologies such as AWS Redshift, dbt, Glue, Airflow.
· 3+ years of hands-on experience building or enhancing data warehouses with a Kimbell methodology.
· 4+ years of overall experience in a Data Engineer role, with an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
· Experience with data transformation, governance, data structures, metadata, dependency and workflow management.
· Interest in emerging tech within the field of data tooling and practices, and willingness to make recommendations on opportunities to advance our capabilities.
· Comfortable using the command line, a Unix-based OS (we are 100% Mac+Linux at Gravie) and extensive experience with software engineering best practices, like version control using Git and IaaC (AWS CDK, Terraform).
· History of managing complex dependencies, processes, multi-layered projects, and estimations of scope and timeline.
· Excellent communication skills and demonstrated success at driving results through influence and collaboration.
· Knowledge of Health Insurance Industry, ideally working with HIPAA Protected Health Information (PHI) and EDI-transmitted data.
· Familiarity with data-adjacent AWS Infrastructure and services like EC2, IAM, ECS, Sagemaker.
· Experience using and administering data visualization or BI tools (Looker, Tableau, Power BI).
· Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and data lake architectures.
· Previous venture-backed start-up company experience.
Competitive pay is standard. Our unique benefits program is the gravy, i.e., the special sauce that sets our compensation package apart. In addition to standard benefits, Gravie’s package includes alternative medicine coverage, flexible PTO, 16 weeks paid parental leave, paid holidays, cell phone reimbursement, education reimbursement, and 1 week of paid paw-ternity leave just to name a few.