The U.S. has the highest perinatal mortality rate of any developed country. This rate continues to increase through 2023.
Ariana McGee found herself in the E.R. on the verge of losing her child. Luckily her and her family avoided tragedy, but the same can’t be said for mother’s across the U.S.
1,205 mothers died during and after childbirth in 2021. This is the problem that Navigate Maternity is out to solve.
Ariana McGee is the founder and CEO of Navigate Maternity. A company using both hardware and software to create an equitable & culturally competent journey for all mothers.
Navigate Maternity has been building some serious momentum in 2023. Ariana and her team won the Delta Red Tank pitch competition and the grand prize of $25,000, they were invited to pitch at the innovation showcase and were selected to participate in the Executive Women of Color Summit in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Be sure to check out these great clips from the show:
- [2:12] The challenges faced by mothers during the prenatal and postpartum periods
- [10:45] Approaching launch and the founding team.
- [18:02] Current gaps in standard of care.
- [32:37] Finding support and overcoming obstacles in entrepreneurship.
In our conversation with Ariana, you will learn about:
- The Maternal Health Crisis: Ariana shed light on the alarming maternal health crisis in the United States, particularly in Indiana. She emphasized the urgent need for solutions, especially for black women who are disproportionately affected.
- The Tech Solution: Navigate Maternity has developed a Bluetooth blood pressure cuff, a class two device for use in pregnant women with conditions like pre-eclampsia. Their goal is to enhance the existing healthcare system.
- The Journey: Ariana shared the support she received from the Fort Wayne community and the importance of tapping into available resources and networks. She also emphasized the need for grit and determination in the face of adversity.
Want to listen to this episode on your chosen app? Click here.
You can stream by clicking here.
If you like this episode, please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow us on Spotify. We have an incredible lineup of interviews we’ll be releasing every Wednesday here on Get IN.
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
Companies and organizations:
- Navigate Maternity
- Verizon Forward for Good Accelerator
- Stanford Biodesign
- Kelley School of Business – Indiana University
- Indiana University Bloomington
- Purdue University
- University of Notre Dame
- IU Ventures
- Indiana Economic Development Corporation
- Vera Bradley
- Ariana McGee
- Theadora James, MHA
- Dr. Elicia Harris, MD, MBA
- Kelli N. Jones
- Oscar Moralez
- Lindsay Tjepkema
- Nate Spangle
- Matt Hunckler
Subscribe to Get IN.
To subscribe to the Get IN. podcast, please use the links below:
If you have a chance, please leave an honest rating and review on Apple Podcasts by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking on Apple Podcasts incredibly! Thank you so much!
Want to get connected with other leaders in the Powderkeg community?
Are you interested in joining the only private membership network focused on supporting tech companies and executives in communities beyond Silicon Valley? Apply for Powderkeg Premium Membership today.
Interested in starting your own Podcast?
Casted is THE first and only podcast and video marketing platform made SPECIFICALLY for B2B brands. The platform makes it possible to publish, syndicate, amplify, and measure the value of your podcast and video content And if you’re a startup, Casted offers their for Startups program that might be for you — offering exclusive deep discounts of up to 82% off retail price for qualifying startups. Connect with Casted at Casted.us/powderkeg.