Location: Boston, MA
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers
people to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their
bodies and daily lives. We handle massive amounts of data continuously
streaming up to the cloud from people improving their health and wellness to
the world’s greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and
highly available product.
The Connectivity team focuses on bridging the gap between embedded and mobile
engineering, ensuring a seamless and consistent experience for members wearing
a WHOOP strap. As an Android Mobile Engineer on the Connectivity team you’ll
focus on optimizing device connectivity and building new features into the
existing Android app which are aimed at making our member’s connectivity
experience as seamless as possible. From ensuring timely firmware updates to
designing innovative ways to establish connections from software to hardware,
we bring WHOOP to the highest level of performance and availability across the
globe using the latest cutting edge technology.
- Work in a cross functional team that works closely with the hardware, firmware, and software engineering teams at WHOOP.
- Apply a solid understanding of Android Bluetooth stack to connect and communicate with a BLE peripheral.
- Create and own systems that aid in analyzing connectivity health of our members.
- Utilize knowledge of Kotlin and Java to develop and maintain product features.
- Document new features and architecture using Jira, Confluence and preparing code using Github feature, develop, and master branches.
- Participate in the release process including getting the app built, managing build variants, signing, sending and testing through Firebase, and submitting to the App store.
- Analyze and monitor user metrics and feedback to determine crash rate or potential bugs and to improve engagement.
- Help groom and ramp-up of other mobile developers and also helping the backend team design data contracts.
- You are experienced working with consumer-facing apps that control BLE devices.
- Knows best practices for concurrency and multithreading.
- Product minded engineer with empathy for the customer experience.
- Willingness to learn and grow rapidly across Android and external systems.
- Experience in building, testing, debugging, and delivering native Android apps in a professional environment.
- Knowledge of Compose is a plus.
- Experience with Kotlin and Java frameworks such as Koin, Android Jetpack libraries (including ViewModel, LiveData, and Navigation), Room database, and retrofit / okhttp.
- Experience writing Kotlin code using coroutines.
- Excellent knowledge of Android Studio, Gradle, CI systems such as Bitrise.
- Experience using Git to organize feature work.
- Experience communicating with a RESTful backend.
- Experience using best-practice mobile architecture and modular design, including patterns such as MVVM.
- Expert knowledge of Android application structure and components as well as lifecycle and Android Design Guidelines.
- Firm belief that automated testing is important and experience writing both Unit and UI tests.
Find out more about us:
["WHOOP Software Principles" ](https://engineering.whoop.com/2020/08/26/our-
_This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful
candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston,
MA office. _
_WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in _ _E-verify
_ to determine employment eligibility