Location: Boston, MA
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its
members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their
bodies and daily lives.
Will be part of a cross-functional team comprised of DSP, firmware, and
electrical engineers responsible for working on the core, fundamental system
software features at WHOOP which involve obtaining heart rate and other
physiological information from noisy sensor data as well as developing
algorithms and features that help us understand the accuracy of our
measurements. The Senior Signal Processing Engineer position is focused on
technical decision making and leading work that affects one or more complex
systems and mission critical areas. The Senior Signal Processing Engineer will
successfully plan and execute projects involving multiple developers and
complex requirements, prioritize them strategically, and be able to
consistently deliver projects that set the standard for quality and
- analyzing existing algorithms and understanding their limitations and performance by utilizing current tools and metrics and identify possible approaches for reducing artifacts, increasing the signal to noise ratio and improving accuracy of heart rate and heart rate variability detections.
- developing further tools and metrics to evaluate the improvements automatically, and also extracting new features from multi-sensor data and converting them into feasible features for members to improve their experience.
- conducting research on innovative algorithms and processing tools
- reading scientific papers and material on the existing technology of wrist-worn devices and apply this knowledge to analyze and extract sensor data, design, code, and validate new signal processing algorithms, and to evaluate their algorithm performance in test and in the field.
- performing systems software development, debugging, and validation to ensure code and results are production ready.
- writing highly insightful, comprehensive code reviews.
- building robust, flexible, and automated tools to enable complex data analysis and algorithm performance monitoring.
- developing infrastructure that enables the signal processing team to derive insight into data and
- provide analysis of data that is statistically and scientifically meaningful.
- setting up and designing experiments to gather necessary data for development of test algorithms.
- Must have a Master’s degree in Software Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely-related field and at least 5 years of post-graduate industry experience in software systems engineering.
- Experience, which may have been gained concurrently, must include the following:
- 3 years of experience in the development and implementation of end-to-end test automation frameworks, API modules and Unit Test Modules in C/C++ and Python;
- 2 years of project leadership experience in end-to-end test automation of biosensor systems or cardiac mapping systems;
- 2 years of experience using MATLAB for signal/image processing applications and statistical data analysis; and
- 1 year of experience in creation of new algorithms from ideation through implementation to optimize biological sensor systems for improved performance.
- Qualified candidates for consideration will be expected to have in-depth knowledge and understanding in the following:
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Signal processing for biomedical applications