Location: Mountain View, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Mechanical Engineering
At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-
electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward
a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved
before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible
to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be
part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
Why we need you
- With that vision in mind, we are looking for a Senior Staff Materials & Process Engineer to join our team to help us develop the materials and processes for our composite structures, airplane parts and assemblies. You will be responsible for contributing to the materials down-selection, developing materials and process test plans, authoring qualification testing substantiation plans, material specifications, process specifications, and supporting obtaining design values and allowables. Formulation of test plans may involve sourcing laboratory equipment, software, and tools or identifying third party laboratories to complete testing. You will work closely across the entire Wisk organization with multiple diverse Wisk engineering disciplines to develop the best approach to generating data necessary to meet the demands of designs. You will lead projects with teams of engineers and technicians. You will lead with certification and safety in mind to deliver quality work to achieve company goals. Team members will be involved in conceptual designs, trade studies, prototyping, requirements development, formal review, detailed design, manufacturing and quality support, and testing. You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and excited by the prospect of playing a major role in the development of the next generation of human mobility.
Within 1 month you will
- Get to know the team and familiarize yourself with the company
- Work with M&P engineers, design engineers, manufacturing engineers, technicians, and other analysts to become familiar with the aircraft and the workflow
- Learn about existing project status, test plans and aircraft materials
- Familiarize yourself with regulatory documentation
Within 3 months you will
- Continue learning about the aircraft and subsystem assemblies
- Take ownership of being an M&P representative for aircraft products
- Work with technicians, manufacturing engineers, and vendors to develop processes, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
Within 6 months you will
- Implement test plans/specifications
- Take ownership and lead M&P projects
- Advise engineers on process development and testing
- Troubleshoot issues discovered during testing and production of hardware
What you have done:
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or similar and a 10 + years of related experience; or an advanced degree with 5 + years of experience; or equivalent work experience.
- Solid understanding on aerospace grade composite materials and structures, manufacturing, and testing
- Hands-on experience with test plans to support materials selection and qualification
- Hands-on process development and qualification
- Familiar with generating materials and process specifications
- Experience with generating design values and allowables
- Experience with structural adhesives, bonded structures, and bonding processes
- Basic understanding on NDI of composite materials and structures
- Familiar with CAD software such as Siemens NX(preferred), Solidworks, etc.
- Familiar with FAA regulatory requirements and CMH-17
- Experience supporting manufacture, including disposition of hardware non-conformances.
- Able to work with and advise cross-functional teams of engineers
- Able to train and supervise engineers and technicians on testing and equipment operations
- You are familiar with aircraft certification and aerospace development best practices and standards
- Have experience and knowledge on metal materials and structures
- Have experience with additive manufacturing, high-rate composite manufacturing, and automated processes for composite structures
- Experience in field engineering/product sustainment.
Who you are:
- You are a highly motivated, self starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset
- You have strong communication skills and can easily tailor your communications to suit the audience
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations
- You are a positive team player
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline
Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive
benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company
pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible
time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no
vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of
all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches,
flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee
referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and
In order to protect the health and safety of all Wisk employees in the
workplace, we are requiring that all employees receive an FDA-authorized
vaccination against COVID-19 prior to physically returning to Wisk’s U.S.
offices. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with
disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices that prevent
them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has
facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff,
recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.