Outset is a medical technology company pioneering a first-of-its-kind
technology to reduce the cost and complexity of dialysis. The Tablo
Hemodialysis System, FDA cleared for use from the hospital to the home,
represents a significant technological advancement that transforms the
dialysis experience for patients and operationally simplifies it for
providers. Tablo serves as a single enterprise solution that can be utilized
across the continuum of care, allowing dialysis to be delivered anytime,
anywhere and by anyone. The integration of water purification and on-demand
dialysate production enables Tablo to serve as a dialysis clinic on wheels,
with 2-way wireless data transmission and a proprietary data analytics
platform powering a new holistic approach to dialysis care.
Outset is looking for an energetic, technically minded, strategic, curious,
and authentic technical product manager to help objectively shape and drive
the Tablo product portfolio (both in the hardware and software spaces) now and
into the future.
This individual will represent the market, user, and clinical needs to create
and maintain a consistent and measurable console product roadmap for Outset.
The product manager shall own all aspects of product management for the
current Tablo product line defining and driving the “what, where, and when” of
the product pipeline. This entails “completing” the current generation
feature/functionality and transitioning to sustaining product management. In
addition, this person will own aspects of the next generation product line.
Together with interaction design and clinical development, the product manager
will work closely with engineering to ensure a streamlined prioritization
process valuing positive patient outcomes, innovative technology, and an
enabling user experience. Lastly, this individual will need to effectively
transition projects to the commercial marketing and sales teams to ensure
successful product launches and promotion.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Provide product vision, strategy and positioning in a large, rapidly growing
market that has been starved of innovation and is looking to empower the
patient in their own care.
- Assess market opportunities and define the user and clinical needs across hospital, in-center, and self-care dialysis markets.
- Develop the business case for the current Tablo product pipeline for new features, cost reduction (hardware), and sustaining device performance (console and consumable) efforts.
- Translate the market, user, and clinical needs into clear and testable design inputs (own the product requirements) to help drive a streamlined product development process.
- Manage product roadmap release plans considering competitive positioning and pricing.
- Lead data driven prioritization of product development activities, while managing tradeoffs and balancing cross functional team timelines with company goals.
- Responsible for ensuring there is an appropriate strategy for validating new and revised feature functions that meet defined customer needs in a safe and effective manner.
- Spend significant time collaborating with sales personnel, KOLs, customers to understand market stakeholder needs, ideas, and to stay at the forefront of market dynamics and trends.
- Be the subject matter expert of Outset’s console products and their features both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Marketing or Engineering or equivalent experience
- Strong experience in medical devices with excellent medical and business acumen
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in product management of capital equipment, medical device disposables, and/or software ecosystem product development, positioning, and placement.
- MS, MBA, or formal education in marketing/strategy preferred
- Experience with end of life or secondary market product management desired
- Excellent communication skills and able to present ideas clearly in a public setting
- Excellent interpersonal, social, negotiation, and decision-making skills to build effective relationships across a wide variety of stakeholders. The product manager needs to be a self-starter who can remain positive and empathic while balancing a realistic and objective mindset.
- Strategic and creative thinker who is intellectually curious and able to bridge technical, clinical, regulatory and sales leaders internally and customers (from the nephrologist to the patient) externally
- Strong team player who can incorporate input from others and can generate consensus through inclusion
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to mentor junior team members or interns
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities.
- Ability to routinely work on multiple tasks with multiple people while effectively prioritizing.
- Ability to travel up to 15% time (US)