POSITION TITLE: Contracts & Compliance Specialist
SUMMARY: This Contracts & Compliance Specialist will support the Owlet
Legal Department in contract management and compliance initiatives world-wide
from a remote location.
DESCRIPTION : Owlet’s (NYSE: OWLT) mission is to empower parents with the
right information at the right time, to give them more peace of mind and help
them find more joy in the journey of parenting. Owlet’s digital parenting
platform aims to give parents real-time data and insights to help parents feel
calmer and more confident. Owlet believes that every parent deserves peace of
mind and the opportunity to feel their well-rested best. While Owlet’s
corporate headquarters are in Lehi, UT, many Owlet employees work remotely
across the United States and members of the Legal Department are found in UT,
NC, NE, and TX.
Owlet’s Legal Department is looking for a Contracts & Compliance Specialist,
who reports into the Chief Legal Officer, to (1) develop, administer and
negotiate all types of contracts for Owlet, and (2) help be an operational and
legal processes specialist within the Legal Department to ensure contracts
compliance and to develop legal and compliance processes, procedures and
training critical for the Legal Department’s maturity within the company.
This individual would have a strong legal/compliance background, whether this
is legal certification or licensure in state bar, to support a wide range of
legal and compliance areas. This may include legal-related topics such as,
federal and state healthcare or fraud and abuse laws, product development and
technology, commercial, marketing and sales contracting, real estate,
employment or data security/privacy topics, to compliance-related practice
areas, such as policy/procedure development, training, auditing and oversight
specific to consumer or medical products or digital technology industries.
This role represents a unique opportunity for a senior paralegal looking to
expand their skill set to a junior attorney, looking to gain holistic in-house
legal and compliance experience within the complex and exciting medical
technology and digital health industry.
- Drafting, analyzing and negotiating contracts
- Provide contractual legal support to all departments in the company
- Assist clients to fulfill the terms of or to terminate contracts on mutually amicable terms.
- Review contract terms and conditions to verify that they are in compliance with company policies and all applicable federal and state laws
- Draft and manage legal forms, templates and executed contracts within the company’s data management systems (e.g., Google) and its contract management software (e.g., IronClad)
- Understand and evaluate business and legal processes and be able to suggest and implement processes, while developing strong relationships with partners to the legal team
- Organize and develop processes for the company’s contract repository and existing contracts
- Develop needed processes, procedures, policies and training for Legal Department and other corporate functions as requested to drive operational efficiencies and risk management
- Apply legal-training or background to address pressing legal and compliance issues by conducting legal/regulatory research using both legal and non-legal applicable resources
- Ability to represent the Legal Department in a professional, positive and responsive manner in a remote setting
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of legal or paralegal training or experience, preferably working directly with contract laws of all types
- Knowledge of current and legally binding contractual language and terminology
- Excellent office technology skills, including Google-based platforms, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, IronClad (or other contract management tools) experience
- Demonstrated experience in business and legal process development and operations, specifically contract management
- Willingness to work primarily virtually and at times with travel for in-person meetings.
- Experience within law firm, in-house legal and/or compliance department required.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of negotiation best practices, in both in-person and written form
- Demonstrated skills in the following areas:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Knowledge of certain regulatory regimes, e.g., FDA, Import/Export, HIPAA and Data Privacy regulations a plus.
- Flex time scheduling
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Benefits package
- Product discounts
Owlet Baby Care, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or
any other characteristic protected by law.