Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the
value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership
services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide
creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain
creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus
on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone and we have paid over $3.5
billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level
of growth, we are looking for a Data Scientist to join our team.
What you will do:
- You’ll partner closely with the product team and other cross functional partners on a wide variety of data science projects.
- You’ll conduct quantitative research on a diverse array of creator and member behaviors to shape strategy and enable partner teams to make data-informed decisions.
- You’ll advise business partners on defining success criteria and measure efficacy of product launches and other creator- and member-facing initiatives through experimentation or other statistical methods.
- You’ll build reporting tools and dive into data to illuminate trends and answer key questions about our creators and our members.
- You'll clearly communicate your technical work to the data team, your partners, and the rest of the company.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have spent 2+ years helping product teams make great decisions with data.
- You have solid analytical thinking. You ask the right questions and can frame data correctly.
- You consistently strive to see beyond the numbers and understand what an analysis represents in terms of real-world applications.
- You are a SQL expert. You have no problem regularly leveraging window functions, self-joins, and other SQL functions to accomplish your data analysis goals.
- You have experience in using Python or R to perform statistical analysis.
- You are familiar with experimentation and various statistical analysis techniques.
- You’ve previously taught yourself new tools/techniques to expand your skill set, and are excited to continue doing so within a supportive community of data teammates.
- You can crisply communicate complicated quantitative information in charts and dashboards.
- You have a bias for using the right tools to get a job done with maximum efficiency. You have experience making tradeoffs between speed and accuracy.
- You are an expert communicator with a love for clarity.
Projects you may work on:
- Evaluate the success of an online experiment that reduces friction in the member onboarding flow, designed to increase how often members successfully make pledges to the creators they love
- Design and run an email experiment that delivers personalized communications to segments of creators and is aimed at increasing creator onboarding rates
- Work with our content consumption team to evaluate the way in which members view and engage with content to ensure members are getting everything they want out of content on Patreon, with the ultimate goal of driving member retention
- Evaluate and improve the way members around the globe interact with content from the creators they love through our mobile apps
- Help build next generation products that connect creators to the fans they love and enable them to offer seamless community integrations
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Learn about and study a diverse array of creator and member behaviors
- Advance your skills in the tools our data team utilizes in their daily workflows: Redshift, MySQL, Airflow, Python, R, Mode, Tableau, Amplitude, Avo, and Datafold
- Learn from an energetic data team and data-minded cross-functional partners, all of whom are full of passion for our product and our mission
Who You'll Work With:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people
who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our
culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative,
stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Values:
- Put Creators First. WHEN CREATORS WIN, WE WIN.
- Build with Craft. WE SIGN OUR NAME TO EVERY DELIVERABLE.
- Make it Happen. WE DON’T QUIT, WE LEARN AND DELIVER.
- Win Together. WE GROW AS INDIVIDUALS, WE WIN AS A TEAM.
Want to Learn More About Patreon?