Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the
value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership
services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide
creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain
creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus
on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2
billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level
of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Product Counsel to join our
What you will do:
- Partner closely with our Engineering, Product, and Design teams and help them make active, informed decisions about legal risks by advising them throughout the product development life cycle: from the conception of a product idea through iterating on that opportunity, developing requirements to address it, implementing a technical design to make it a reality, formulating a plan to launch it, and beyond.
- Build deep relationships across the company, including with Compliance, Policy, Trust & Safety, Payment Ops, and Tax, and become the primary Legal owner for Patreon’s creator-facing products and for Memberful.
- Help drive responses to regulatory audits/inquiries.
- Serve as the Legal team’s subject matter expert on industry standards, self-regulatory frameworks, and U.S. and international laws and regulations related to tax, financial services, and payments.
- Create scalable processes to enable Patreon to move with urgency while reducing systemic risk.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 8+ years of experience in product counseling at a firm or in-house, with in-house experience counseling engineering, product, and design teams highly valued.
- Either (i) existing deep knowledge of the payments ecosystem, the key stakeholders in the space, how the foundational, underlying technologies work, and how this all fits together OR (ii) enthusiasm to learn this and become a leader at Patreon in this area.
- Comfort with defining nuanced, go-forward regulatory positions.
- Experience advising clients in at least one legal area we address on a daily basis – such as consumer protection, content regulation, intellectual property, and/or privacy and data protection – an excitement to learn the rest, and a desire to counsel all aspects of a given product, not only those directly related to particular legal issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to effectively communicate across departments and at all levels.
- Strong work ethic and ability to be productive and successful in a fast-paced work environment.
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission.
- Bar admission or equivalent and in good standing to practice law in your relevant jurisdiction.
Who You'll Work With:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people
who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our
culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative,
stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Values:
- Put Creators First. WHEN CREATORS WIN, WE WIN.
- Build with Craft. WE SIGN OUR NAME TO EVERY DELIVERABLE.
- Make it Happen. WE DON’T QUIT, WE LEARN AND DELIVER.
- Win Together. WE GROW AS INDIVIDUALS, WE WIN AS A TEAM.
Want to Learn More About Patreon?