We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to build out and lead
the Product Security team within Pilot’s Infrastructure organization, to build
software tools and services that keep Pilot’s products secure and our
customers’ data safe. This team will work closely with other functions and
teams at Pilot to inculcate a security-first mindset, including our product
engineering teams, our Operations team, and our Info-Sec team (which sits
adjacent to Engineering and is responsible for things like compliance and
CorpSec). This entails building and maintaining systems related to identity,
access controls, infrastructure security and credential management, as well as
participation in design, code and implementation reviews with product teams to
ensure we are building highly secure products for our customers.
The Product Security engineering team will have significant impact to Pilot’s
core business, and they work closely with cross-functional partners.
Therefore, the leader of this team will have lots of opportunity for impact
and visibility during a period of significant growth for Pilot — and they will
extend that opportunity to their team members as well!
- Lead a team of talented security engineers to keep Pilot’s products and customer data safe.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Create a team environment that values collaboration, inclusion, and respect.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges within the team, within the context of the larger Engineering organization.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Grow the team thoughtfully by understanding business needs, addressing team skill gaps, and prioritizing a diverse top of funnel.
- Work with your engineers and stakeholders to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Help your team build relationships across Engineering, Product, Ops and any other stakeholders who are relevant to the team’s strategy.
- Participate in reviews of technical or product specs to provide your perspective on the features we want to build.
- Work across teams to shape development at Pilot (e.g. defining best practices, choosing technologies, evolving our tech stack).
- Think medium- to long-term. We are building for Pilot’s future accelerated growth and need someone with strong foundations who will set us up to scale.
In order to successfully fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, we have
a small set of requirements. As our ideal candidate, you will have at least
one year of experience in an official managerial role, and you can demonstrate
experience with most the following:
- Managing engineers’ performance : This could include managing out, performance corrections, giving continuous feedback, and investing in strong performers.
- Growing teams : You can identify the need for headcount, define hiring criteria, and act as an owner throughout the entire recruiting lifecycle.
- Technical execution and dependency management : Your teams have shipped complex features with dependencies or stakeholders from outside the team, and you’ve played a significant role in their execution.
- Team dynamics : You’ve diagnosed a number of issues affecting morale or execution and found various solutions.
- Fostering inclusion within a diverse team : We are a diverse team representing a variety of identities and experiences. Our managers must show an ability to understand and support the needs of marginalized individuals.
- Relationship building : Whether it’s with your engineers, peers, customers, or vendors, you invest in relationships that benefit your team.
- Technical design and strategy : While we expect little to no code output from our Engineering Managers, we look for folks with strong technical backgrounds who can hold their own in technical design discussions and represent the details of their team’s technology to others.
Pilot launched in 2017 to bring the back office into the modern era. Pilot
provides small businesses with dedicated finance experts - which Pilot hires
as full-time, U.S.-based employees - who learn the ins-and-outs of their
business. Pilot integrates directly with the billing, banking, expense, and
payroll systems customers already use. With a special blend of custom software
and expert bookkeepers, Pilot delivers accurate, consistent bookkeeping and
financial management and tax services that give entrepreneurs the freedom to
focus on their business.
Pilot has over 1,000 customers and has raised over $170 million in financing
from Sequoia, Index Ventures, Stripe, Bezos Expeditions, and Whale Rock. Our
investors also include a long list of world-class entrepreneurs, including
Patrick and John Collison, Drew Houston, and Diane Greene. Our most recent
funding round doubled our valuation to $1.2 billion – Meet Fintech’s Newest
- We invest in our employees’ development and happiness because our employees are the keys to our success and ensuring happy customers
- The opportunity to join a seasoned founding team that has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox).
- Flexible vacation/time-off policy
- All federal holidays are observed
- Competitive benefits package including wellness benefits such as Modern Health, Headscape, One Medical, Aaptiv and Rightway
- Parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents – 100% pay for 12 weeks
- 401(k) plan
Pilot commits to provide a work environment free of discrimination and
harassment, as well as equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color,
ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We
also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories,
consistent with legal requirements. You may view all of Pilot’s recruiting
notices here, including our EEO policy,
recruitment agency policy, recruitment scam notice, and important E-Verify