As Pilot’s first lifecycle marketing manager, you’ll determine how, when, and
what we say to our customers. You’ll support customer and operations teams by
defining key moments in our customers’ lifecycle, and alerting our team at key
moments in their journey. You’ll deliver a consistent message by working with
product marketing and content. You’ll instrument the right systems to deliver
those messages at the right time by working with product, engineering and
operations teams. You’ll develop and execute programs that move customers
through the customer journey.
What might this look like?
Consider the case of a first-time founder who has just raised a seed round and
purchased a Pilot subscription for bookkeeping and tax. You could imagine:
- Creating an onboarding series that outlines the timelines, deliverables, and information we need to get started.
- Inviting this first-time founder to our founder community group, where other founders are sharing their experience and common pitfalls to avoid.
- Once their first set of books are ready for review, they are alerted to log in and see issues their account manager has flagged for them and know the next steps to take and who to contact if they have questions or need more support.
- After several months, you, Pilot’s lifecycle marketing manager, identifies that this customer is ready to raise their next round. You know they are ready because you’ve analyzed thousands of Pilot’s startup customers and know the key indicators that a customer at this stage is likely ready to raise. Pilot’s CFO services team helps them raise money.
- After the round closes, we recognized this important milestone by sending a congratulations gift to the founder and their team.
- After this experience we ask this customer to review us on G2 which they happily write. They also send us a referral for a potential new customer and are sent a referral reward, thanking them for introducing their network to us.
Because of our efforts, the customer has more time to focus on making their
business successful, because they know that Pilot is on top of things—and
proactively keeping them in a good place. They are never losing sleep
wondering if the right financial controls are in place. They have peace of
mind knowing that the Pilot CFO team is negotiating with their vendors to get
the best contract terms. They know where to go to get answers and get
proactive communications and content from their dedicated team with
information that will support their growing business.
This is intended to be illustrative, but this is an example of the type of
high-impact initiatives we’re excited for you to spearhead.
- Map the entire customer lifecycle identifying key inflection points
- Work with partner teams to identify key personas and customer journeys
- Work with with creative, content, and other cross-functional marketing partners to design and execute compelling, engaging marketing programs and campaigns (account-based expansion, advocacy, referrals, churn prevention, and win-back) that support the journeys you’ve identified
- Maintain a seasonal campaign calendar in coordination with Sales, Customer Success and operations functions
- Define key performance indicators you will use to measure success
- Help happy customers by identifying indicators for Pilot to more deeply engage with our customers through upsell, cross-sell, and advocacy opportunities
- Help identify potentially unhappy customer by getting them the support they need from the right team
- Work with product, business systems and analytics to implement tooling and create processes that support delivering the right message to the right person at the right time
- You’re at expert at lifecycle marketing and campaigns and can show demonstrable results of your work
- You’re excited about delighting customers and building customer experiences that help drive additional value for the customer
- Strong understanding of marketing automation systems, nurture programs, triggered campaigns, personalization, and dynamic content
- You know how to use our tech stack (Salesforce, Marketo, Looker, google analytics, etc.) to architect successful campaigns and programs
- You’re a great communicator and project leader
- You’re data driven and able to show concrete results in driving customer expansion (upsell/cross-sell), churn prevention, improving conversion rates, and driving referrals
- You’re comfortable developing and interpreting experiments and their results. You’re able to find the insights below the surface and draw conclusions that inform business decisions
Nice To Haves
- Experience with founder/VC-backed startup audiences
- Experience at a company with sales/marketing led growth (vs. product driven)
- Experience and willingness to write short-form content that supports the customer journey
Pilot launched in 2017 to bring the back office into the modern era. Pilot
provides small businesses with dedicated finance experts - which Pilot hires
as full-time, U.S.-based employees - who learn the ins-and-outs of their
business. Pilot integrates directly with the billing, banking, expense, and
payroll systems customers already use. With a special blend of custom software
and expert bookkeepers, Pilot delivers accurate, consistent bookkeeping and
financial management and tax services that give entrepreneurs the freedom to
focus on their business.
Pilot has over 1,000 customers and has raised over $170 million in financing
from Sequoia, Index Ventures, Stripe, Bezos Expeditions, and Whale Rock. Our
investors also include a long list of world-class entrepreneurs, including
Patrick and John Collison, Drew Houston, and Diane Greene. Our most recent
funding round doubled our valuation to $1.2 billion – Meet Fintech’s Newest
- We invest in our employees’ development and happiness because our employees are the keys to our success and ensuring happy customers
- The opportunity to join a seasoned founding team that has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox).
- Flexible vacation/time-off policy
- All federal holidays are observed
- Competitive benefits package including wellness benefits such as Modern Health, Headscape, One Medical, Aaptiv and Rightway
- Parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents – 100% pay for 12 weeks
- 401(k) plan
Pilot commits to provide a work environment free of discrimination and
harassment, as well as equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color,
ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We
also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories,
consistent with legal requirements. You may view all of Pilot’s recruiting
notices here, including our EEO policy,
recruitment agency policy, recruitment scam notice, and important E-Verify