Pilot provides finance, accounting, and tax prep services for startups and
growing businesses. We run the financial back office for thousands of
businesses of all sizes and stages, and we’re partners in helping our
customers build enduring businesses. When our customers work with Pilot,
they’re paired with a dedicated team of Pilot experts that focus on helping
their business succeed. Pilot’s magic is that we take this amazing team (of
US-based full-time Pilot employees), and equip them with software
superpowers—think the “Iron Man” suit of accounting—developed by our internal
Our customers buy Pilot because they trust that we understand them and will
take good care of them—in short, they buy because of our brand and messaging.
Which is why this role is so critical.
The VP of Product Marketing will own the overall messaging and positioning
strategy and execution for Pilot—establishing us as the trusted back-office
partner for business owners everywhere. The role will report directly to the
CMO, will work closely with the CEO, and will own product marketing for all of
the services offered by Pilot.
- Ultimately, your job is to build and run a high-performing product marketing team, focusing largely on three key areas: (1) defining a category around our core product, (2) enabling our go-to-market teams to add value, and (3) expanding into new offerings or new verticals. Simply put, you and your team will help us understand our customers and tell our story to them, reaching them in an authentic and compelling way.
- You’ll work closely and collaboratively with the rest of the marketing team, our sales team, and our EPD teams to drive growth. You’ll develop product marketing strategies with real measurable, quantifiable impact on Pilot’s business
- You’ll help us tell our story and ultimately define our category: what is Pilot? Why should you trust us? What can we do for you that no one else can do for you? Tactically, this will look like messaging and positioning work, mapping the buyer’s journey, and helping refine personas—as well as the creation of foundational marketing experiences: e.g., demos, website content, demand gen assets, videos, webinar content, etc.
- You and your team will represent the voice of the customer. You’ll work closely with our sales team to develop sales collateral, case studies, presentations, customer success stories, and other sales tools that improve our win rate, and enhance the productivity of the sales team
- As we launch new offerings, or launch into new verticals, you and your team will be key stakeholders from ideation and initial exploration, to initial launch, to ongoing growth and expansion.
- Of course, this is a team effort. Our existing PMM team is small but mighty—we’ll want you to build and expand on it. You’ll build a product marketing team that’s data-driven and focuses deeply on analysis of customer pain points and the buyer’s journey. You’ll need to hire, guide, and mentor top product marketing talent, and foster a cohesive, high-performing team.
- You’re a compelling storyteller with a strong strategic and analytical mindset, and you’re excited to own outcomes end-to-end, continually refining and delivering the company’s narrative.
- You have 10+ years of relevant work experience in B2B SaaS product marketing
- You’re a proven leader who has worked cross-functionally and been directly responsible for important business outcomes
- You have a demonstrated ability to clearly communicate a unique value proposition through messaging frameworks, website experiences, etc.
- You have a deep passion for engaging with customers and prospects
- You’re analytical—you know that you can’t manage what you can’t measure. You prefer data to anecdata, but you also know when to thoughtfully lean on each.
- You have a strong bias towards action, and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and go deep when it’s needed to get to the right outcome
- You’re an experienced people leader who has built, developed and retained high performing teams
Pilot launched in 2017 to bring the back office into the modern era. Pilot
provides small businesses with dedicated finance experts - which Pilot hires
as full-time, U.S.-based employees - who learn the ins-and-outs of their
business. Pilot integrates directly with the billing, banking, expense, and
payroll systems customers already use. With a special blend of custom software
and expert bookkeepers, Pilot delivers accurate, consistent bookkeeping and
financial management and tax services that give entrepreneurs the freedom to
focus on their business.
Pilot has over 1,000 customers and has raised over $170 million in financing
from Sequoia, Index Ventures, Stripe, Bezos Expeditions, and Whale Rock. Our
investors also include a long list of world-class entrepreneurs, including
Patrick and John Collison, Drew Houston, and Diane Greene. Our most recent
funding round doubled our valuation to $1.2 billion – Meet Fintech’s Newest
- We invest in our employees’ development and happiness because our employees are the keys to our success and ensuring happy customers
- The opportunity to join a seasoned founding team that has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox).
- Flexible vacation/time-off policy
- All federal holidays are observed
- Competitive benefits package including wellness benefits such as Modern Health, Headscape, One Medical, Aaptiv and Rightway
- Parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents – 100% pay for 12 weeks
- 401(k) plan
Pilot commits to provide a work environment free of discrimination and
harassment, as well as equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color,
ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We
also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories,
consistent with legal requirements. You may view all of Pilot’s recruiting
notices here, including our EEO policy,
recruitment agency policy, recruitment scam notice, and important E-Verify