Location: Remote / UK
Employment Type: Option for Flexible Work Pattern
Matillion is The Data Productivity Cloud
Matillion helps teams get data business-ready, faster — accelerating time-to-
value and increasing the impact data can have.
Thousands of enterprises including Cisco, DocuSign, Pacific Life, Slack, and
TUI trust Matillion technology to load, transform, sync, and orchestrate their
data for a wide range of use cases from insights and operational analytics, to
data science, machine learning, and AI.
With over $300M raised from top Silicon Valley investors, we are on a mission
to power the data productivity of our customers and the world.
We are passionate about doing things in a smart, considerate way. We’re
honoured to be named a great place to work for several years running by
multiple industry research firms.
With dual headquarters in Manchester, UK and Denver, Colorado, and an
expanding hybrid culture, we are looking for passionate, high-integrity
individuals to help us scale up our rapidly growing business.
We are now looking for a Principal Product Designer to join Matillion. This
role can sit remotely across the UK, or work from our UK HQ Manchester.
The Principal Product Designer is responsible for the success of all UX/UI
Design activities, outputs and outcomes across a portfolio of data products.
Working alongside the Director of Product Design as part of the design
leadership team and in close collaboration with Product Directors and other
Principal Designers, you’ll define and expand the holistic UX strategy for a
suite of SaaS products — aligning every customer touchpoint with an evolving
vision of the future Matillion experience.
Collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders including senior leaders and
customers, you will own strategic design decisions that lead to the optimum
evolution of the Matillion experience and value proposition — ensuring that
the customer is at the heart of everything we do.
This role is paramount to the evolution of Matillion’s UX maturity, shaping
and evangelising the design language and philosophy — for the UX team and
wider business, supporting the growth of design/non-design roles, as well as
contributing to the quality and efficiency of UX Research, UX Design and UI
What you will be doing
Collaborate with other Principal Designers to define, plan and construct
the holistic Matillion user experience
- Define and communicate UX vision and strategy across the Matillion product suite in collaboration with Product Directors, Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers and Designers of all levels
- Lead and support cross-collaborative discovery/consensus workshops to increase adoption and breadth of the UX vision
- Align cross-team (squad) design activities, influencing product roadmaps to deliver results and learnings in alignment with commercial goals
- Devise, instigate and lead research initiatives and UX market analysis that uncover/validate strategic design opportunities
Own design direction and outputs for your dedicated product range
- Create and evolve UX vision and strategy for your dedicated product range
- Own communication of progress updates and design decisions to the wider business and executive team
- Own team outputs by providing high level direction, work requirements and critique for other designers conceptualising, designing and creating first-class experiences and interfaces, alongside your own hands-on contributions to UX and UI.
- Lead and support remote/in-situ/hybrid design activities (design sprints/workshops/story mapping…)
Cultivate design culture and excellence throughout the organisation
- Define and maintain principles and standards that bring UX consistency to all platforms and products
- Contribute to and expand an evolving design system for pixel-perfect delivery and hand-off to engineers
- Drive and support cross-team activities to progressively evolve the experience practice at Matillion
- Strategically position narratives within the wider business to ensure best-practice design happens invariably
- Evangelise a lean-design approach to innovation work-streams
- Nurture the growth of Senior, Mid Level and Junior UX Designers through mentoring, coaching and critique
- Contribute to UX resource requirements that allow Matillion to scale efficiently and advise on suitability of UX team candidates, supporting recruitment interviews
What we are looking for
- Collaboration mastery — able to inclusively generate consensus on direction, approach and concepts from all levels of stakeholder
- Excellent communication skills — able to form powerful narratives that align strategic business decision making
- Advanced presentation skills — able to present ideas/concepts to stakeholders with confidence to generate actionable outcomes
- Hyper-aware and proactive — able to autonomously discover and action opportunities to drive design excellence through ambiguous or complex circumstances
- Design Intuition — visually literate with a keen design aesthetic and fluency in the language of design and UX
- Proactive — self-organised and ability to plan your work and the work of the team in line with commercial goals.
- 6+ years (UX-UI) design experience (or you’re really good)
- Experience in Principal / Lead roles
- Experience designing software products — ideally SaaS
- Experience mentoring other designers / non-designers
- Proven skills in user research techniques, mental models, persona creation, JTBD framework
- Proven skills in ideation, sketching, wireframing, user flows, information architecture and visual/UI design
- Fluency with modern visual design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVision etc.
- Experience contributing to / maintaining design systems
- Degree / similar in a design or computer related subject
- 5+ years experience working in cloud data transformation
You must be able to demonstrate
- High calibre UX and UI Design
- Agile and Lean Practices
- UX Strategy
- Iterative product design planning and development
- Design Thinking
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design and Design Systems
- Competitive Analysis / Design Industry Trends
- Passion for solving complex problems
- Accountable — Able to take responsibility for your team’s outputs, learnings/failures (we celebrate these)
- Humble — Product design is a collaborative sport #no-heroes
- Professional — Responsible for your time, prioritisation, delegation and denials (saying no to the right things)
- Opinionated — You have strong views but are open to challenge and adaptivity
- Always improving — You continuously seek ways to grow yourself and others around you, responding well to feedback
- Results oriented — You know how to prove value and prioritise opportunities that demonstrate wins
At Matillion, we are committed to providing competitive salaries in line with
market standards. Our estimated compensation range for this position is
£63,000 - £93,500, but the final salary will be based on your relevant skills,
experience and qualifications demonstrated in the hiring process.
Find out more about Matillion and our
core company values.
** Our Benefits**
- A truly flexible & remote working culture
- A culture that promotes work life balance
- Company Equity
- Access to mental health support
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- 5 days paid volunteering leave
- Health insurance
- Life Insurance
- Career development with monthly hackdays and access to a Udemy account
& much more!
We are keen to hear from prospective employees, so please apply and a member
of our Talent Acquisition team will be in touch.
Alternatively, if you are interested in Matillion but don't see a suitable
role, please email email@example.com
Matillion is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we
are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our team.
Matillion prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type, Matillion does
not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, age, sex, national
origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.