Location: Philippines (Remote)
Employment Type: Full-Time
Team: Team airCFO
⛰️ Our mission
Join us & help build a world-class company for our employees & clients
At airCFO, we believe that startups are building the future each and every day. airCFO helps these startups shape the future by building their finance, tax & accounting functions to scale with efficient processes and tools that give insight into their financial performance. Our vision is to become the nation’s most respected financial partner for startups -- serving organizations from Silicon Valley to NYC.
Our approach has always been simple: hire great people, then enable those people to do impactful work sustainably.
🌠 Where you come in
Our challenge today
In order to support our ongoing growth, we are hiring for a US Tax Preparer! If you have a passion for working with fast-growing tech startups and you want to enhance your knowledge and skills working with clients across a variety of industries, come and join our team of accounting and financial professionals.
This person will work directly with clients to help them build best-in-class finance functions and support their rapid growth trajectories. You’ll help build & maintain financial models that serve as a ‘source of truth’ for companies’ financial results & insights. You’ll serve as a key member of the Tax team, helping to enable our team members to do their best work and go above & beyond for clients.
🎏 What you'll own
The US Tax Preparer is the core of our tax team ensuring timely and accurate tax return filings. During your tenure as US Tax Preparer, you will demonstrate and develop your capabilities in the following areas:
• Apply the US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to analyze financial information
• Apply the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), state and local tax laws and regulations to prepare and/or review federal, state, and local tax forms for US business entities, including US-controlled foreign subsidiaries
• Assist in research and development credit study, including the credit calculations, filling out Form 6765, and applying for payroll tax offset in the payroll system
• Respond to IRS, state, and local audits and notices
• Prepare and/or review Delaware Annual Franchise Tax Report, San Francisco Annual Business Tax Returns, San Francisco Annual Business Registration Renewals, and various kinds of net capital, gross receipts, and property tax reports/filings.
• Assist in state registration and withdrawal for business entities
• Assist in state income tax and sales tax nexus advisory
• Assist with Form 1099s, Form 3921, and various kinds of information returns.
• Perform ad-hoc tax projects per clients’ requests
• Managing multiple client engagements, ensuring clients’ tax returns are delivered timely, accurately, and well-presented.
• Assessing client’s financial information, proposing tax strategies, and managing the implementation of those strategies
• Managing client’s inbox to review and manage ad-hoc requests/inquiries
• Working with clients' other external parties, such as auditors and legal counsels to provide the necessary support
• Understanding and following the airCFO tax team’s standardized procedures and policies
• Working with other airCFO service lines in developing an integrated service package
🔧 Tools you'll use
• Google Suite (especially Sheets)
• Lacerte Tax
• CCH AnswerConnect
• and more!
🏔️ Why join us?
📊 Support a portfolio of world-class founders
Our team members get the unique opportunity to work with a group of high- impact entrepreneurs on their quests to put a dent in the universe. We work with companies working on everything from ‘smart’ cancer treatments, to self- driving planes, to ethical artificial intelligence, and help them navigate the ups and downs of the startup journey.
🏅 Work with a team of supportive leaders & managers.
Our leaders know that managing successfully is the #1 part of their job. All of airCFO management, from Leadership down, is dedicated to making airCFO a place where employees are supported and developed into startup Finance & Accounting superstars.
🌍 Help build a best-in-class distributed work environment
airCFO was an early adopter of the 100% distributed organization, and we’re passionate about being recognized as one of the world’s best environments for empowering people to do their best work wherever they happen to be located.
📬 This role might be for you if...
... you've had the following experiences in your career:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in Accounting
• Familiarity with US GAAP and IRC; US CPA/Enrolled Agent certification preferred
• 4+ year US business tax experience required; High-tech start-up client working experience is a bonus; Public accounting experience preferred
• Solid working knowledge in commercial tax preparation software and research tools/databases; Experience with Lacerte tax, CCH AnswerConnect preferred
• Ideal candidate has broad tax experience with business taxation in (i) C corporations, S corporations, and partnerships including Form 3115 Change in Accounting Method; (ii) international taxation compliance including FBAR, Form 5471, a Form 5472, Form 8858, IC-DISC reporting; (iii) business R&D credit including Form 6765 and Form 3800; (iv) multistate income tax compliance.
• Ideal candidate also has a solid understanding of (i) informational filings such as Form 1099s, Form 3921, DE franchise tax return, gross receipts returns; (ii) payroll tax filings; (iii) multistate sales and use tax.
• Individual taxation experience is preferred but not required
• Demonstrated project management and client relationship management skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong Excel/Google Sheet skills
• Experience building and maintaining standard operations processes is a bonus
• Experience managing a distributed team is a bonus
... the following statements describe you:
• You’re not interested in working in a cubicle and you have a strong passion for working with startups.
• You’re an independent, initiative problem solver, and critical thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for tech startups.
• You have great attention to detail.
• Ability to be proactive and in-tune with clients' needs. You’re willing to roll up your sleeves and wear different hats when needed, and you won’t rest until our clients are 100% satisfied.
• Proven ability to be a team player, engage with other team members, and willingness to step in when needed.
• You’re a sponge for learning new things. You'll be exposed to many business models, concepts, and leadership styles; learning that will serve you well no matter where your career takes you.
... you approach work in a way that emphasizes our values:
• Think outside the box : We consistently challenge our own biases & assumptions, looking for feedback from diverse groups of stakeholders
• Human-Centered : We celebrate the self-expression and uniqueness of team members, allowing everyone to bring their whole selves to work
• Founder’s Mentality: We provide peace of mind by making clients’ problems our problems
• Empathy over Ego : We seek to understand criticisms when they’re brought to us, to take ownership of our failures, and to always do what is right for our clients and each other.
• Helpfulness : Each day we ask ourselves, “How can I help make my coworkers’ / clients’ lives easier by taking an extra step?”
• Coach Mindset: We help our clients & teammates identify their own gaps by teaching them to ask the questions they don’t know to ask.
• Default to Public: We promote open conversations and avoid back-door communication.
• Push vs. Pull: We act proactively to keep clients & teammates informed about progress on
🌈 Research shows that while men apply to jobs if they meet ~60% of the criteria , women and those in traditionally underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they check all boxes.
So if you think you have what it takes but don't meet every single point above, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
⁉️ Frequently asked questions
What is the interview process?
• Complete our brief technical challenge that consists of a few prompts to measure technical skills
• First Round: 20-30 min Discovery call with a member of our People Operations team
• Second Round (with Tax team members):
• 30 min Startups & Tax Interview
• 30 min Cultural & Behavioral Interview
• Final Interview with Alex, COO
• Get an offer 🎉
What is the compensation package?
• PHP 90,000 - PHP 120,000 per month
• If you like the look of the role but the above isn't the range you're looking for, you can still apply to see whether we can match your expectations.
What perks/benefits do you offer?
• As part of our team, you will closely work with airCFO US Team and make lasting connections; also you will have the opportunity to keep growing along your career path at airCFO
• No night shift. We care about our team's health and work/life balance. No night shift will be required.
• Flexible PTO. We empower our team to be proactive about their personal and professional health by offering Flexible PTO
• A monthly wellness stipend added to each paycheck
• Laptop of your choice when you are hired
Do you sponsor Visas/require relocation?
• We do not offer sponsor visas. We’ll hire great people anywhere across the Philippines, no relocation is required.
🎉 Ready to apply?
☝️ * Note : Applicants will be subject to a background check and employment reference check at the expense of airCFO.
airCFO is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of airCFO to not discriminate against any job applicant or employee based on age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status, or any other protected status. This policy includes but is not limited to the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, and selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff, or termination.