Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Employment Type: Full Time
Hi, we’re Gravie. Our mission is to improve the way people purchase and access healthcare through innovative, consumer-centric health benefit solutions that people can actually use. Our industry-changing products and services are developed and delivered by a diverse group of unique people. We encourage you to be your authentic self - we like you that way.
If you’re dreaming about how you can use an awesome tech stack to disrupt an industry... Gravie could be the place for you. AWS native since we started, we’re using functional programming with autonomous, cross-functional teams to rapidly build and evolve our systems. Gravie is at that sweet spot, checking the boxes for both excellent technology and making a huge splash in the insurance industry.
What does it take to thrive as a Principal Software Engineer at Gravie? You need to have both deep and broad engineering skills, be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading other engineers to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. You’re excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand what’s needed to meet their needs. You’re able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture.
You should have plenty of experience in building performant, easy to use, well monitored and well tested APIs, creating and maintaining robust web applications, designing efficient data flows, communicating clearly, sharing knowledge, and questioning existing solutions.
A Little More About Us:
· We know healthcare. Our company was founded and is still led by industry veterans who have started and grown several market-leading companies in the space.
· We are quickly becoming one of the fastest growing health benefits companies in the country. We have received numerous awards and accolades, including Inc. Magazine Best in Business Gold Medal award in 2021, and JMP Securities Top 50 Private Companies in Insurtech in 2022.
· We have raised money from top tier investors who share the same long- term vision as we do of building an industry defining company that will endure over the long run. We are well capitalized.
· Our customers like us. Our revenue churn is in the low single digits, in an industry where greater than 20% churn is common.
· Our culture is unique. We tend to be non-hierarchical, merit-driven, opinionated but kind people who thrive working in a high-performance, fast- paced environment. People at Gravie care deeply about making a positive impact in the lives of the people we serve. We may not be the right place for everybody, but if you get energized by doing work every day that focuses on putting consumers at the front of the line, we could be a great place for you.
· It takes unique people and diverse perspectives to deliver our results. We encourage you to be your authentic self – we like you that way.
· Help develop proofs of concept using new and existing technologies in the market that explore and push the boundaries of what’s possible for Gravie’s product offerings
· Explore new technologies and services for possible adoption by various Gravie engineering teams
· Lead initiatives to make major architectural changes, first by building prototypes, then contribute to and oversee execution on various product delivery teams
· Design, develop, and deliver the services that delight Gravie’s customers
· Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org
· Regularly review other engineer’s work to maintain consistency and raise the quality of everyone on the team
· Ability to take high-level direction with minimal supervision and make significant contributions across the company
· Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
· Strong proven ability in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
· Strong expert experience in cloud native technology stack (AWS) and service-oriented architecture
· Clear understanding of emerging technologies and ability to apply those principles in solving critical business needs
· Deep programming background and a passion for writing code. You are eager to learn more and enjoy providing and receiving critical feedback
· Knowledge and experience with different programming paradigms such as functional programming, object oriented, and declarative programming
· Experience with Docker and containerized environments
· Experience with Serverless technologies and AWS Lambda
· Experience with client-side unidirectional data flow patterns
· Knowledge of building out pipelines using infrastructure-as-code tools such as AWS CDK
· Knowledge of the health care or health insurance industry
· Start-up experience
Competitive pay is standard. Our unique benefits program is the gravy, i.e., the special sauce that sets our compensation package apart. In addition to standard benefits, Gravie’s package includes alternative medicine coverage, flexible PTO, 16 weeks paid parental leave, paid holidays, cell phone reimbursement, education reimbursement, and 1 week of paid paw-ternity leave just to name a few.
Where permitted by applicable law, candidates must be fully vaccinated or be willing to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by date of hire to be considered for a job at Gravie.