Curated is on a mission to help people find
exactly what they’re looking for
Whether it’s your first snowboard, a brand new baby stroller, or a much needed
upgrade to your coffee machine – shopping is hard when the stakes are high. We
make it easy by connecting customers with Real Experts who can answer their
Curated is the home of America’s biggest community of Real Experts
Real Experts aren’t sales assistants. They’re people living ordinary lives,
who also happen to be obsessively passionate about something. They have real,
on-the-ground, lived experience — they’re not proficient in tennis, they’re
fluent in it.
Making high-stakes purchases easier is only the beginning
Our Real Experts connect with customers in ways that would be unimaginable in
any other retail context. They work hard to understand your needs, trade
stories, help make plans, and keep in touch.
It’s why customers are obsessed with Curated – and why our Real Experts have a
4.96 average star rating over 85,000+ reviews.
_Curated Business Teams periodically hire for a variety of different roles.
Apply to join our talent community and be considered as relevant positions
open up! _
Business Teams at Curated keep the trains running
We also figure out where the trains should go, find the land, buy the steel
and wood, organize the laying of track, hire the conductors, and validate that
passengers happily make it to their destinations on time.
Whether managing the P&L for our business verticals, informing organizational
success metrics, or implementing the systems that will help us scale, these
teams focus on the thoughtful, sustainable growth of our company.
- Analytics sets and enables a standard of data excellence across Curated. We believe in data self-service, and the Analytics team is responsible for the systems, processes, and methods that make this possible. We also drive key product decisions, perform complex analyses to untangle thorny business questions, and help teams to execute ambitious data-driven projects.
- BizOps & Strategy works on essential cross-functional initiatives, ranging from launching new categories to establishing organizational success benchmarks. Our group generally splits time between initiative-based special projects and company-level health metrics; information gathering, data analysis, reporting, and problem-solving as we encounter roadblocks.
- Business Development identifies and onboards our brand partners, and optimizes partner relationships across all categories. We ensure that Curated can offer the best products from leading brands and that our brand partners are equipped with the tools to be successful on our platform.
- Department Management is responsible for developing, launching, and growing product departments across the organization. Each department is like its own small business, requiring end-to-end management of new opportunities, launch plans, P&L forecasts, and overall performance. Today we operate across Outdoor Sports -- our founding vertical, where we continue driving toward increased brand and product coverage -- and New Verticals; Baby (strollers, car seats, etc) and Home (espresso machines, air purifiers, BBQs, etc). We’ll continue to expand our verticals, and jump into new ones as Curated sets out to become a true marketplace for all complex purchases.
- Expert Strategy & Operations focuses on the thousands of experts cultivating their own books of business across Curated verticals. Experts are at the heart of the Curated experience, and our team focuses on Expert enablement, growth strategy, experience, value proposition, tools and processes, and much more.
- Strategic Finance monitors, reports on, and manages the performance of the company. We understand the drivers of our revenue, costs, unit economics, and cash flow, and we collaborate closely with our cross-functional partners to recommend and support business decisions that help drive growth and profitability.
- Accounting keeps the lights on, from ensuring our partners get paid on time to providing an accurate financial picture in an accurate and timely manner. Things are always interesting in the Accounting world – we are working towards our first company audit in 2023 and to be IPO ready in 3 years.
- People, Legal, & Talent ensure that we continually engage and retain world-class individuals across our organizational functions. We develop high-integrity hiring systems / processes and protect a work environment in which Curated team members can bring their best selves to work.
**Why you'll love working here **
- Inspiring experts. Everything we do is to make our experts successful. When our experts are successful, our customers have an amazing experience and get products they love. Our experts are students, firefighters, teachers, stay-at-home moms, golf pros, authors, retired restaurant managers, and more.
- The product. When an expert and a customer click, the end result is magical.
- Fantastic team. Led by industry veterans with multiple successful exits under their belts, we’re a small, tightly-knit team of innovators, creators, and builders.
- High trust culture. We seek to enable team members with minimal red tape. We operate from the assumption that our teammates are well-intentioned and chasing high-impact challenges.
How we interview
Our interview process varies by team, but we always commit to transparent and
timely communication. We know that interviewing takes time, energy, and
commitment, so we do our best to facilitate a fulfilling and high-context
experience. For Business Teams, our interview process typically goes something
- Recruiter Screen. An introductory call allows us to learn about your background and interests, while also sharing a bit about Curated and screening for surface-level skills alignment.
- Hiring Manager Interview. A member of the hiring team conducts a deeper technical dive. You can expect to discuss past projects and often hypothetical problem-solving on these calls. These calls are typically 45 minutes to an hour long.
- "Face to Face" Interviews. Next, we’ll typically arrange a series of 45-minute round-robin interviews. These technical interviews focus on different aspects of the role and often include relevant stakeholders from adjacent functions. We’ll let you know who you’re meeting in advance, and commonly evaluate the following:
- Business acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Communication skills
- Case Study. For many Business roles, we conclude with a case study, in which you’ll respond to an offline prompt with a small, self-contained work sample, and then present your solution to a small panel of team members.
From there, we typically take a more open approach to ensure that all of your
questions have been answered and that our team is likewise comfortable moving
Here are a few general guidelines that will help you to be successful
throughout your interview experience:
- Get to know our space. If you’re not already familiar with e-commerce, gig-economy companies, or marketplaces, spend some time familiarizing yourself with these topics and exploring our platform. Don’t worry about bothering experts for their time; they’re compensated for conversations and will be happy to connect.
- Past projects can provide a ton of insight into your skills. expertise, and history of delivering impressive products or features. Prepare to go into detail on past projects that demonstrate your range of skills. How might you change your approach if you did the same project today?
- Think out loud. We’re very interested in understanding your thought process - how you break down problems, set goals, choose success metrics, prioritize features, etc.
- Collaboration is critical at Curated. Be prepared to talk about experiences working directly with stakeholders with different perspectives; engineers, designers, executives, users, etc.
- Ask questions. A great way of demonstrating engagement and critical thinking skills is by asking poignant questions.
Skills and Qualifications
Job requirements vary by team and role, but we generally see a few themes
among our strongest candidates for Business roles.
- Culture and Values Alignment. Every new hire moves our company culture by one game piece, either reinforcing aspects of our existing culture or moving us in a new direction.
- Passion. We care a lot about our business, and we are looking for people who are inspired by what we do. Our goals are to eliminate buyer's remorse and to enable passionate experts to monetize their knowledge. We want missionaries, not mercenaries!
- Problem-Solving Skills. We're a startup, which means we have limited resources and big challenges, some of which are fundamentally unique. We look for people who prioritize high-impact opportunities and identify viable solutions to tricky problems. We’ve seen excellent problem-solving skills across diverse candidate backgrounds, ranging from:
- Former founders and those who have successfully scaled startups through meaningful growth
- Business leads at larger companies, who have focused deeply on optimizing a particular space or solving challenges at a massive scale
- Strong business generalists with an MBA or background in management consulting, investment banking, or private equity, who can effectively work from first principles to drive execution and impact
- Depth. We look for proven experience and people who have "done it before."
- We are especially excited about candidates who have role-relevant strategic leadership experience, at scale, in retail, e-commerce, or three-sided marketplaces.
- Analytical Skills. Data informs almost every meaningful decision that we make at Curated. We look for people who are comfortable tying together datasets, building thoughtful models, and cutting through the noise to drive positive impact.
- Leadership. We have an entrepreneurial culture built on collective trust. Every employee at Curated is an owner and is the subject matter expert for some piece of the bigger picture. We look for people who take pride in their work.
- Collaboration. Most of our work is cross-functional, and we will only be successful if we continue to work well together. We are a low-ego, low-bureaucracy, flat organization, focused on coming together to solve novel challenges.
While these qualifications are typical of a strong candidate, they are not
exhaustive and not required unless noted. We take a holistic approach to
hiring and would love to connect if this sounds interesting to you!
Curated was founded in 2017 to humanize online shopping. Backed by
Greylock, and CapitalG,
we’ve built a collaborative shopping experience brought to life by passionate
experts. Every shopper on Curated gets one-on-one personalized advice to find
the perfect product, so they can enjoy more of what they love.
Through our expert community, Curated has created a new type of knowledge
economy that enables people to earn meaningful income by sharing their
expertise, from anywhere.
Curated is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of all
backgrounds to apply, as we strive to build a marketplace that serves every
demographic with the highest level of quality and respect.