Headway’s mission is a big one - to build a new mental health care system
everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great
therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the
majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for
most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone
can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their
Headway was founded in 2019 – since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national
network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who
run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company with over $225m
in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google
Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career.
Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About engineering at Headway
Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of
the scale and leverage that software can provide. The engineering team at
Headway is a small but mighty team using technology to build that future (and
have a fun time while doing it!).
Principles that guide us:
- Focus on the mission : We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
- Ship small, learn fast : We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration
- Everything is a product : Whether it's our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
- Optimize for trust : We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
- Languages : Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries : FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores : Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure : AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring : Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control : Github
Projects we’re working on:
There is a lot that we're building at Headway, but here are a few projects to
give you an idea of the problems we're tackling.
- Privacy : Building a secure, scaleable platform and leading projects across our engineering org to ensure patient privacy and compliance as we grow.
- Core insurance and billing engine : Building the insurance systems and infrastructure that can process 1M+ appointments per month.
- Network ** ** Expansion : Building the underlying systems and internal tools to support the successful growth of our provider network nationally.
- Therapist practice management system : Building a best-in-class platform for Headway therapists to manage their patients, appointments, payments, and more.
- Patient search and matching : Transforming the therapist search experience and becoming the trusted guide for patients to find the right therapist.
Who you are
We’re looking for experienced engineers who have the ability to deal with
ambiguity and learn new technologies and systems. Below are some additional
experiences we think help engineers succeed at Headway.
For all engineers:
- Built web applications in a backend capacity or experience as a platform engineer
- Strong understanding of at least one programming language and comfortability with others
- Shaped work to achieve company and team goals
- Flexed into new technical and non-technical areas as projects require
- Committed team member supporting the growth of those around them
For senior engineers:
- Designed software architecture at the systems-level
- Led shaping of technical requirements, roadmaps, and strategy
- Led and mentored teams of engineers
- Evaluated new technologies and build vs. buy decisions
- Recruited, interviewed, and on-boarded engineers
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the
- Initial screen : You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round : You'll meet with an engineer on the team to do some live coding and learn more about the engineering team.
- Final rounds : You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer : Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this
mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across
race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family
status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As
part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities
are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is
needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform
essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of
employment, please contact
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from
offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway
participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click