Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access.
We make it easy for people to find quality in-network mental health care by
removing historic barriers faced by mental health providers, payers, and
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the vast
majority do not get the care they need. The primary reason is cost: the
majority of therapists do not accept insurance, meaning paying for therapy is
prohibitively expensive. This is where we got our start – Headway has built
the first software-enabled national network of therapists who accept health
insurance, making it possible for patients to find quality care they can
afford and enabling mental healthcare providers to grow their practice.
We launched in April of 2019 and are now powering 500,000+ appointments a
month. To scale our vision, we’ve raised over over $100 million in funding
from a16z, Thrive, Accel, Spark Capital, and Google Ventures.
Join us, and make an impact
About engineering at Headway
Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of
the scale and leverage that software can provide. The engineering team at
Headway is a small but mighty team using technology to build that future (and
have a fun time while doing it!).
Principles that guide us:
- Focus on the mission : We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
- Ship small, learn fast : We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration
- Everything is a product : Whether it's our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
- Optimize for trust : We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
- Languages : Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries : FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores : Postgres, Redis, DynamoDB
- Infrastructure : AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark, Flink, and Kafka
- Monitoring : Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control : Github
Team leadership opportunities:
There is a lot that we're building at Headway, but here are a few teams we’re
building where your engineering leadership could make a measurable impact:
- Privacy Platform: This growing team builds the engineering systems responsible for user authorization, secure data storage and record auditing. As a medical company, our need for secure storage and strong user control is significant. As a startup, we also want to move quickly. This team exists to ensure that strong, opinionated, scalable platforms exist for product teams to build rapidly while getting the non-negotiables right.
- Clinical Compliance : This new team is building systems to determine the compliance of clinical documentation at scale. We want to make it as easy as possible for our providers to maintain compliant clinical records so they can focus on what they do best – helping clients. This team is building a Machine Learning powered platform to ensure that providers can understand the compliance of their documentation and we can understand the compliance of our entire network of providers.Building products and platforms to support clinical compliance for Headway providers.
Who you are
We’re looking for experienced engineering team leaders and people managers who
are relationship obsessed, drive results and enable their teams to build for
technical excellence. As an Engineering Manager at Headway, you will work
closely with Engineering Leadership to help shape the future of the
engineering organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate,
mission-aligned engineering leader to make an immediate impact on our rapidly
scaling engineering team.
- Lead and manage a team of 6+ engineers
- Help build out our engineering team as the headcount grows from 40 - 120+ over the next year
- Ensure there is process and product alignment across your team
- Develop and grow your team through weekly 1-1s, mentorship, and feedback
- Work with and help develop aspiring engineering leaders within the engineering team
- Contribute to the broader company strategy and product roadmap
- Refine our Software Engineering hiring processes to meet the needs of our scaling organization
Below are some additional experiences we think help engineering managers
succeed at Headway
- You have 3-5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager
- You have have a track record of working well across teams and functions
- You have a track record of building and leading high performing teams that have effectively delivered business outcomes through technical investments
- You have a strong technical foundation that allows you to ensure your team is making appropriate technical decisions
- You have prior experience with Python and React, nice to have
- You have experience working with AWS infrastructure
- BS, MS in Computer Science or related field
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the
- Initial screen : You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First rounds: You'll meet with an engineering leader and hiring manager on the team to go deeper into your technical and people leadership experiences
- Final rounds : You’ll meet several more team members for one technical and multiple behavioral interviews, leaving you with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer : Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role:
- The starting salary for Engineering Managers is $195,500 and increases to $230,000 based on industry tenure and experience.
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this
mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across
race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family
status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As
part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities
are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is
needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform
essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of
employment, please contact
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from
offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway
participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click