Headway’s mission is a big one - to build a new mental health care system
everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great
therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the
majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for
most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone
can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their
Headway was founded in 2019 – since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national
network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who
run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company with over $225m
in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google
Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career.
Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About the role
As a member of Headway’s founding Security Engineering team, you’ll have the
unique opportunity to be the builder and driver of our dedicated, in-house
Security engineering efforts. In this role, you will partner with our Lead
Security Engineer and Head of Infrastructure to design our next-generation
security program, touching all aspects of Headway’s business and systems. You
will both technically and organizationally execute security projects ranging
from practice changes to technical architecture to security infrastructure
development to penetration testing.
- Cloud security: Lacework
- Languages : Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries : FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores : Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure : AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring : Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control : Github
- Vulnerability Management: Snyk, Semgrep
Projects we’re working on:
There is a lot that we're building at Headway, but here are a few projects to
give you an idea of the problems we're tackling in security.
- Infrastructure security: Building and implementing tools that monitor the security posture of our infrastructure and provide for more secure access in a scalable manner as we grow.
- Application security: Building systems that provide guardrails and enable developers to do security
- Data security: Building systems and tools that monitor our data flows and access.
Who you are:
- You have technical experience with building secure platforms and products at a deep level.
- You are excited to perform security design and code reviews.
- You want to understand security systems and improve their efficiency and scalability.
- You enjoy tackling deep technical problems, sometimes operating as a leader of new security or engineering initiatives.
- You want to instill a culture of secure development across engineering and partner across teams to embrace security as a part of normal development.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 5+ years experience in security and/or software engineering roles with a demonstrated history of working on security-related projects or with responsibilities as a security generalist
- Experience across multiple (if not all) domains, such as infrastructure security, product security, application security, and/or data security
- Strong cross-functional experiences, building relationships and driving impactful projects
- The ability and drive to continuously educate yourself and others
You’ll love this role if you want to:
- Change the trajectory of a startup striving to redefine access to mental health in America
- Work on a highly collaborative, cross-functional engineering team in order to build the best and most secure products for therapists, patients, physician and payer partners, and/or your teammates at Headway
- Help establish and engrain best practices throughout our organization
- Contribute to our engineering culture, processes, and documentation with the same thought and care that we do our software (one of our engineering cultural principles is “Everything is a Product”)
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the
- Initial screen : You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with our Lead Security Engineer for introductions and an architecture interview.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews, including our Head of Infrastructure who this role reports to, and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this
mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across
race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family
status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As
part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities
are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is
needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform
essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of
employment, please contact
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from
offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway
participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click