Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Mechanical Engineering
Anduril is a defense technology company, bringing Silicon Valley talent and
funding to the defense sector. Our technology helps our customers solve their
toughest challenges by enabling them to make better, more informed decisions
in the life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of experts in
artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data
analysis that are creating software and hardware solutions to radically evolve
the capabilities of the United States and our allies. If you are passionate
about solving problems that have real impact, come join Anduril and build the
future of defense!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Execute the development of new air vehicles, from initial concept through deployment.
- Act as a resource and subject matter expert for aircraft engineering teams
- Develop air vehicle CONOPs, conceptual designs, and configuration layouts by balancing performance implications from different subsystems (aero, structures, propulsion, avionics, and payloads)
- Develop aircraft level Key Performance Parameters and flowed down requirements to each sub-system to hit them, along with System Owners.
- Execute aircraft, airframe and subsystem detailed design and fabrication as required.
- Support system test by developing sub-system and system level ground and flight test plans to efficiently and safely expand the flight envelope and validate performance requirements.
- Grow and strengthen key team skillsets to enable future air vehicle development programs.
- Develop aircraft design and test methodologies and best practices to enable scaling development capabilities to larger, more complex air vehicles.
- Use first principles physics as a basis for every decision
- Travel to test sites as needed
- BS in aerospace, mechanical engineering or related field
- 7+ years of mechanical/aerospace experience in a professional setting
- Strong understanding and experience developing air vehicle conceptual designs and transitioning them to flying and deployable systems. Experience developing parametric aircraft sizing tools.
- Familiarity with key aircraft subsystems and their development methods, including aero-performance, stability and control, structures, avionics, propulsion and fuel, etc.
- Experience with prototype composite and aluminum airframe manufacturing methods.
- Experience on aircraft flight lines including systems integration, ground test, and flight envelope expansion.
- Passion for aircraft and aviation development demonstrated through air racing, aircraft homebuilding, pilot’s license, A&P license or similar experience
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- Experience in Solidworks/NX/Teamcenter
- Ability to integrate electronic components into mechanical designs (motors, controllers, sensors etc.)
- Experience with machining, sheet metal, injection molding, and 3D printing
As an employee at a growing startup, you will be given broad leeway to solve
problems with the resources needed to win!
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all
backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that
matter, we’d love to hear from you!