Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Product Design
Anduril is a defense technology company, bringing Silicon Valley talent and
funding to the defense sector. Our technology helps our customers tackle their
toughest challenges by enabling them to make better, more informed decisions
in life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of specialists in
artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data
analysis that are crafting software and hardware solutions to radically evolve
the capabilities of the United States and our allies. If you are passionate
about solving problems that have real impact, come join Anduril and build the
future of defense.
ABOUT THE JOB
Anduril’s recently founded Product Design team is seeking its first full-time
Product Designers to grow our team. This is an opportunity to help craft
Product Design from the ground up, from the team’s culture to the company’s
design ethos and practice. At its core, Product Design is responsible for
shipping an effective end-to-end user experience of our Lattice software
platform to our customers. We partner with engineering, product management,
and the business across all phases of product development—from ground truth
need-finding and synthesis, to ideation and execution, to field testing and
With our focus on defense and national security, design plays a meaningful
role in ensuring that front line decision makers have the best tools and
information possible to swiftly understand a situation, evaluate courses of
action, and act. In support of this mission, designers at Anduril own the end-
to-end user experience of these tools.
As a Senior Product Designer in our fast-paced environment, you’ll bring your
core design toolkit — interaction design, visual design, ideation, user
research — and employ and adapt it in pursuit of end-user outcomes. Because we
work fast across a variety of product areas, you’ll likely find yourself using
that toolkit to traverse both strategic product thinking and tactical design
execution. You’ll rapidly iterate with your teammates in order to exchange and
incorporate feedback. With the radical ownership and autonomy that you’ll find
at Anduril, you’ll use your decomposition and synthesis abilities to
holistically understand user, product, and business problems at hand. You’ll
also make use of your precise communication skills to advocate for product
solutions that benefit the user, and collaborate across roles in order to
execute and ship.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Interaction design. From pen and paper sketches to crisp high fidelity mockups, and from workflow architectures to the smallest micro-interactions you’ll construct intuitive workflows that handle complexity and serve your end user.
- Visual design. You’ll wield your aesthetic sensibilities in order to best serve the function of your products. You’re able to put the right pixels on the screen to make your workflows precise, usable, and elegant.
- User research. Because your responsibility is to the end user, you’ll drive the need-finding and validation processes for your work by getting onsite and conducting both generative and evaluative user research.
- Synthesis & Ideation. You’ll take the signal you gather on user and business problems and distill it into impactful problems against which to align your team. You’ll drive collaborative, broad generation of ideas to define the solutions space.
- Rapid prototyping. You’ll quickly make ideas real in order to evaluate and test them. Depending on the situation, this might involve pen and paper, Sketch and Principle, or front-end development in partnership with an engineer.
- Communication and relationship building. Through mockups, prototypes, and written documents you’ll share your designs and ideas with relevant partners, seek critical feedback, and push the product forward. You’ll work closely with engineers to ground your designs in technical feasibility. You’ll work with PMs and business partners to prioritize and tie your work to user and business outcomes.
- Design collaboration. As Product Design at Anduril grows, you’ll help define and drive team culture. You’ll participate in design critiques in order to better your and others’ work, and you’ll help level up people in other roles on collaborating with design.
- Design Tooling Proficiency. Proven ability to execute on interaction and visual design using industry-standard design tools. At Anduril, we generally use Sketch for high fidelity mockups.
- Experience across the entire product development cycle. A track record of crafting and shipping products that have been used by humans to achieve a goal.
- 4+ years of software product design experience
- U.S. Person status may be required as this position needs to access export controlled data.
- Front-end development proficiency. This is not a requirement, but we value the ability to engage in the code in order to hold the quality bar on what we ship.
- Startup experience
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all
backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that
matter, we’d love to hear from you!