Location: New York
Employment Type: Full-time
At Blue Bottle, our mission is to connect the world to delicious coffee.
From seed to cup, we elevate the craft of coffee in everything we do. We
strive to build a better tomorrow by investing in what matters: a sustainable
future for our people, the company, and our planet.
About the Job
At Blue Bottle Coffee, a Barista is someone who is passionate about coffee,
culinary items, sustainability, and creating incredible guest experiences
grounded in care and respect. We invite you to grow as a team member and
create community through coffee with us.
- Deliver exceptional hospitality to our guests, your fellow teammates, and all of our vendors and suppliers
- Make and serve a selection of delicious beverages with a variety of different brewing and preparation methods
- Prepare and serve delicious food
- Stay knowledgeable about Blue Bottle’s current beverage and food offerings and preparation techniques; continuously cultivating your own curiosity and knowledge through in-house tastings, cuppings, and trainings
- Taste our Blue Bottle beverages regularly to ensure quality, uphold our standards, and develop your palate
- Create community in our cafes by sharing your joy and knowledge of coffee with our guests; inspire your fellow teammates to do the same
- Support your team by taking joy in the tasks that keep the cafe running smoothly and beautifully—these tasks may vary but can include cleaning, clearing and washing dishes, sweeping, dusting, mopping, cleaning and organizing condiment stations, and taking out trash
- Be passionate about the planet and help us achieve our company-wide sustainability goals
- Uphold and follow all health, food safety, and safety guidelines
- Promote a safe and respectful working environment
- Searching for a career in food and beverage with a dynamic, growing company
- Passionate about coffee, food, and creating inclusive hospitality experiences
- Reliable and consistent—your leader and teammates can always depend on you to be punctual and bring your A game
- Thoughtful and able to anticipate our guests’ needs
- Obsessed with the details! You love honing your craft and understand the nourishing powers in each cup of coffee and each plate of delicious food
- Excited about taking on new experiences and possess a can-do attitude
- Eligible to work in the United States and 18 years of age or older
- Existing Food Handler’s Certification required for the state you will be working in, or will obtain it within 30 days post-hire
- Basic math and computer skills
- A flexible schedule and are available to work mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
A few benefits we offer
- Comprehensive Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- Best-in-class coffee training and continuing education
- Free membership into Specialty Coffee Association of America and discounts on events (including Expos and Championships)
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off & paid volunteer hours
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle whole beans, food items and merchandise
- Flexible spending account & commuter benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Starting at $16.00 per hour
- Cafe Incentive Program
Our Barista position is a dynamic one! Below we’ve mapped out the physical
demands that are essential to the role
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. You’re on your feet the majority of the day, whether you are standing behind bar pulling shots or walking the cafe floor
- Use of hands to reach, grip, turn and perform precision work. You’re using your hands to operate beautiful espresso machines, pour delicious pour overs, and operate the register (among other responsibilities)
- As needed squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders. For example, you may have to bend down or reach up to grab cups, lids and towels
- Ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds. For example, you’ll be handling bags of coffee beans, coffee kegs, crates of milk, tub of dishes and trash bins
- As needed climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces. For example, climb on a step stool to change menu slacks, go up and down stairs and ramps to storage areas
- Ability to smell and taste. You’re tasting and smelling coffee and food, helping ensure quality control for each cup and plate
- Ability to listen and speak. You’re listening and speaking with our guests to take and fill orders, and guide and create experiences
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind,
dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these
qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s
qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in
the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and provide reasonable accommodations that allow
qualified applicants/employees to perform the essential functions of the job.
We also provide reasonable religious accommodations to applicants/employees to
allow them to practice their bona fide religious beliefs. To request an
accommodation, contact your People Partner.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result
in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale,
or if doing so could other create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with
employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S.
We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and
completed the Form I-9.
Blue Bottle requires that all of its team members are fully vaccinated (i.e.,
at least 14 days after the final dose of a Covid-19 vaccine) by the start of
their first day of work, unless they qualify for an accommodation/exemption
for medical, disability, or religious reasons.