Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Cafe Ops Administration
Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate and growing team of hundreds around the
world, united by the simple purpose of connecting the world to delicious
coffee. We roast across the globe, make delicious drinks, clean up after
ourselves, bake cookies, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you.
We’re an impossibly eclectic group of coffee experts, artists, writers,
sensory scientists, bakers, designers, and all-around dreamers, who also
happen to be some of the most hard working and talented in the business. Join
About the job:
The PPM Director will report directly to the COO and is responsible for
developing, prioritizing & managing the full portfolio of initiatives across
the Blue Bottle enterprise, from new products to cafe openings to systems
rollouts to production activations and cafe operational programs.
This will require developing and managing initiatives in their entirety from
strategic identification, through prioritization & activation to
implementation with the relevant in-market teams as well as balancing the
resources and timetables to coordinate across multiple functional teams. Able
to combine business and strategic awareness, focused prioritization, problem
solving capabilities, resource & people management & operational awareness,
this role will partner closely with the COO to drive core end-to-end processes
and bring to life initiatives that drive our strategy priorities.
This is an enterprise level role that is central to developing governance and
planning models that ensure we can deliver on our key objectives on time and
within budget, as well as determining and overseeing the frameworks that
enable an end-to-end approach for our core business processes such as go-to-
market programs. You will also provided a clear and consistent voice for
ongoing performance improvement, efficiency development and waste reduction
efforts in all of our operational areas
As a senior leader the role will focus on initiative delivery that requires a
balance across prioritization, collaboration, execution and performance. You
bring varied and broad business experiences, together with planning,
performance and governance capabilities to provide clarity and focus for the
business that will enable us to accelerate the brand for the future.
The Portfolio & Program Management group is a central part of our Operations
organization driving both core processes and key initiatives. It is the
framework we use to ultimately bring to life everything that we deliver to our
guests. Its purpose is to coordinate & manage all of our initiatives from
cross enterprise strategy to specific focused improvements while providing
prioritization, focus & clarity for all teams cross enterprise strategy to
specific focused improvements while providing prioritization, focus & clarity
for all teams.
Open to remote work in existing Blue Bottle markets: California, Illinois,
Massachusetts, New York, Washington, D.C.
- Lead the PPM team to coordinate and manage all initiatives for BB across the organization, on-time, on-budget and ensuring clear prioritization and alignment to strategic objectives.
- Work closely with the COO & Head of Strategy to determine initiative priority for both short and long term strategic needs, and develop goal cascade frameworks so that functions are fully aligned to enterprise goals.
- Create portfolio models to manage intake, planning, selection, activation and decommissioning of programs as well as performance management approaches to ensure successful execution and rollout.
- Manage the Blue Bottle Portfolio including oversight of all project plans, budgets, assets, and overall project organization to ensure requirements and deliverable dates are clearly communicated, understood and executed.
- Develop and document frameworks, tools and models for the execution of initiatives as well as the required reporting and tracking methods.
- Provide clear reporting and performance management to senior leadership that will enable continual evaluation and adaptation of the portfolio as required.
- Ensure risk & issue management is developed as a core capability of the PPM group Own developing and evolving the key processes that are required to manage the primary E2E business flows for the organization and portfolio activation.
- Identify opportunities & needs for continuous improvement and ensure approaches and solutions are linked to our strategic focus and performance objectives.
- Partner with the key Operational Directors to ensure that programs are activated from day one with the end state execution & organization in full consideration.
- A diplomatic problem-solver and relationship builder with a positive attitude, who can bring people together to both resolve and execute against challenges.
- Able to decisively manage through shades of grey and with the capability to help others learn, adapt and deliver in a changing environment.
- Skilled in clearly and concisely distilling issues and statuses into actionable updates for both senior leaders and working teams.
- Willing to step into key project and program roles as needed to ensure that we can get the task done on time when needed.
- Experienced in portfolio & program management, construction of reporting models and managing cross-functional teams through full lifecycle initiatives.
- Detail-oriented and strategic; someone who “sweats the small stuff,” but also sees the big picture and can provide clarity to teams to deliver in this environment.
- Able to easily assess the state of progress for projects and how best to accelerate.
- Risk aware, able to think across all portfolio areas to support working teams on how they integrate and connect.
- An excellent written and verbal communicator, able to distill a lot of information and detail and help others quickly identify the most appropriate path forward.
- Exhilarated by a high-paced, fast-changing, and sometimes unpredictable work environment.
- Independent and a self-motivator with a strong ability to drive projects along who can partner with high-level collaborators in an effective and transparent manner.
- Comfortable with a variety of project management tools and processes and know when to employ which to drive outcomes.
- 8+ years complex initiative & portfolio management experience, including direct & indirect cross functional teams with multi-projects coordinated simultaneously.
- 8+ experience in working in cross-functional operational groups 5+ years of strategy & management leadership experience.
- 5+ years experience delivering strategic programs in multiple markets/geographies.
- Strong financial acumen with fluency in business development and resource determination.
- Exceptionally clear and compelling verbal, visual, and written communication skills.
- Global business understanding especially in North America and Asia.
- Appreciation for new challenges and undefined projectsLast but not least, a deep love for great coffee, food, and exceptional guest experiences.
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Blue Bottle is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and written documentation
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasionally walking, climbing stairs, and standing occur in this role.
- Environment: this role is protected within a building, but may be exposed to mild changes in temperature with heating or air conditioning.
- This role requires travel up to 50%. Additional walking, stooping, sitting, and mobility may be required. Exposure to outside environmental elements may be experienced due to travel through airports, airplanes, and in between facilities
A few benefits we offer:
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes and discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
At Blue Bottle Coffee, you’ll be a vital part of our guests’ experience and a
crucial link in delivering the most delicious coffee we can find to every
person who walks through our doors, be it in person or online. If you’re ready
to bring beautiful and thoughtfully rendered experiences to life, please apply
and join us.
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind,
dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these
qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s
qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in
the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may
be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result
in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale,
or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with
employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S.
We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and
completed the Form I-9.
Blue Bottle requires that all of its team members are fully vaccinated (i.e.,
at least 14 days after the final dose of a Covid-19 vaccine) by the start of
their first day of work, unless they qualify for an accommodation/exemption
for medical, disability, or religious reasons.