Location: Canada - Remote
Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Product Development Operations
At Guidewire, we make software that offers Property and Casualty (P&C)
Insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need
it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident,
or exposure to cyber risks. We build the core applications that insurance
companies use to sell and underwrite policies, settle claims, and bill their
customers. We also have a portfolio of innovative products serving the needs
of P&C insurance companies in areas such as data management, digital online
portals, and predictive analytics. We run these products on the Guidewire
Cloud Platform, and we help hundreds of insurance providers all over the world
to handle billions of dollars of business.
We are proud to be voted a Top Cloud Employer on Glassdoor by our own
employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner.
We have a fun work environment and a culture that lives by our core values of
integrity, rationality, and collegiality.
We’re searching for people who are as passionate about working together to
deliver quality products and support as we are. Join us and enjoy a career
where you can make an impact. You’ll be inspired by those around you, and
you’ll be trusted and empowered to go further.
Guidewire’s Cloud Operations (CloudOps) team is part of the global Customer &
Cloud Operations (CCO) organization, delivering 24x7 cloud services to the
world’s largest insurers in the P&C industry. As a CloudOps Manager, you will
lead a team of Cloud Operations Engineers supporting the Guidewire Cloud
You will be part of the global CloudOps team that is passionately operating
and automating everything possible to ensure Guidewire systems run more
efficiently. The Cloud Ops team is dedicated to running software that
improves the reliability of systems in production, serving hundreds of
customers and supporting millions of transactions each day. You will be
supporting the operations of Guidewire’s flagship cloud platform and Insurance
Suite products and you will help ensure efficient operations and optimal
availability of all SaaS multi-tenant and customer-focused systems.
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership and responsibility
with prior experience in production support of a SaaS platform. If you like
to be challenged and have a passion to drive the creation, planning, execution
and closure of deliverables that involve cloud operations then we would love
to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and lead a distributed team to ensure always-up availability for Guidewire Cloud Platform and its associated application environments.
- Manage, distribute and delegate workload between team resources so as to provide excellent customer service to all Guidewire Cloud customers.
- Manage and resource small to medium internal projects to successful completion.
- Provide rapid troubleshooting, remediation, and root cause analysis of production issues.
- Define and continuously refine the team’s operational processes and procedures.
- Interface with the Customer Success, Guidewire Professional Services and Product Development to ensure excellent customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate with Guidewire Engineers to refine/improve our continuous delivery systems for cloud CI/CD services
- Responsible for monitoring and managing AWS spend as a key part of Infrastructure operations.
- Responsible for Cloud Security, including instance, container, cloud and network security.
- Build strong relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Create system documentation and training materials to empower and educate our own and other CCO teams
- Participation in continuous service improvement initiatives to drive efficiency and automation through innovation
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of team management experience while providing support to production environments.
- 5+ years using ITIL or other ITSM frameworks. Certification with ITIL v3 would be preferred.
- 3+ years hands-on experience with AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, VPC, Route 53, IAM, etc.)
- Background with Linux systems administration and strong scripting skills in Bash, Python, Go, etc.
- Experience supporting web applications running on Java / Apache / Tomcat in a live production environment
- Demonstrable experience with automating systems and infrastructure with Terraform
- Production-At-Scale support background in a heavily microservice-based world
- Working with Kubernetes hands-on in a “Been there, Done that” way
- Strong understanding of Single-Sign On, SAML, oAuth (Bonus points if hands-on experience with Okta)
- Background utilizing and supporting log analytical tools such as DataDog (Logging and APM)
- Great understanding of DevOps tools, CI/CD and hands-on experience with git, Bitbucket and TeamCity
- Seasoned expertise around x.509 certificate technology and basic concepts of encryption
- Solid understanding of concepts surrounding containerized networking and all things IP
- Experience working with Relational Databases such as Aurora Postgres and/or Oracle RDS
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as application development, web UI (design and development), JSON, application architecture
- Ability to read and interpret application server thread dumps, Catalina outputs, CloudTrail, and other critical logging outputs.
- Strong understanding of AWS security and monitoring and experience implementing best practices
- Strong experience with monitoring, alerting, and log aggregation tools: Datadog, AWS CloudWatch, Grafana, PagerDuty, Sumologic.
- Experience in troubleshooting complex CI/CD issues built around Jenkins and common code management systems
- Have built teams and processes “from scratch”
- Ensure resource availability and allocation
- Establish deliverables and track milestones according to schedule
- Experience in and understanding of the Managed Services Environment
- Demonstrable experience with client and issue management
Personal Qualities and Soft Skills
- A no-fear approach to ambiguity and a startup-like culture
- You enjoy teaching and being a mentor to others
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills; ability to think critically and display an aptitude for problem solving
- Strongly analytical mind with a penchant for process development and enhancement
- Display a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- A highly positive can-do attitude with a knack for being a team player
- Excellent communication skills and ability to explain complex technical concepts to a varied audience
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- We provide 24x7 support to our customers, so we expect you to take turns with your teammates being on-call for weekend production emergencies or to provide rotating weekend operational support
- Travel – Expect occasional travel (less than 15%) to other Guidewire offices for training and team meetings
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our
platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and
most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success.
We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+
successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem
in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate
integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all
applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any
type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin,
disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a
criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to
perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges
of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.