Location: United States
Employment Type: Full Time Exempt
Dave is a banking app on a mission to build products that level the financial
playing field. To date, we've helped more than 11 million customers bank,
budget, avoid overdraft fees, find work, and build credit—and we're just
getting started. We believe in a world where everyone has access to financial
opportunity and the ability to reach their personal financial goals. With a
growing suite of tools and services, we provide a superior banking experience
for anyone living paycheck to paycheck.
As a virtual-first company, there is no preference on where we get our work
done. You are able to live anywhere in the United States, with the exception
As the Staff Engineer, you will own the architecture and technical vision for
the systems driving a complex, major domain at Dave. You will spend the vast
majority of your time designing elegant testable/scalable solutions,
implementing secure applications, collaborating with product managers and
engineers to deliver an exceptional experience to our Dave members.
You will report directly to the Director of Engineering and help architect a
technical vision for the Risk team to centralize our systems for compliance
requirements and reduce/prevent fraud. You will be embedded in the Risk team
but also collaborate with Data, Compliance and Fraud teams within Dave to
guide the implementation of the Risk technical roadmap. You will help mentor
and elevate other engineers at Dave to ensure a high technical bar of our
If you are someone who thrives on collaborating to solve hard problems, are
passionate about finding innovative solutions, delights customers, and
inspires colleagues, then this role is for you!
What You'll Do
- Design and architect complex systems that span across multiple squads and within a domain area with an eye to minimize and reduce tech debt.
- Highly independent and able to set/recommend goals, priorities and timelines. Communicate those priorities to drive visibility and alignment across engineering leadership and squads.
- Communicate clearly about the architecture and technical vision to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Own the implementation, quality of the architecture and identify risks with safe migration/launch paths.
- Contribute to code and ensure continuity of projects past initiation, delivery and maintenance.
- Envisions risks and concerns with projects spanning across multiple squads, communicates clearly and proposes mitigation with simple, scalable solutions.
- Ensure code, design and architecture reviews are happening and provide best practices.
- Evaluate tools and introduce technologies that will help solve a current problem or anticipated future problems.
- Collaborate with the Product Managers, Engineering Managers and Lead Engineers to come up with a roadmap, vision and purpose for their domain consisting of multiple squads.
- Distill complex product features into achievable milestones to deliver incremental value and align with long term tech vision and architecture. In short, identify MVP or phased out releases so that there are no big bang releases.
- Provide reference architectures and design patterns that could be adopted by the engineering across teams.
- Promote open source and librarify functionality that could solve cross cutting concerns.
- Influence through various communication mediums (written or pictorial - component, sequence, system diagrams, etc) to align multiple squads on priorities and architecture/solution.
- Coach/mentor and be a force multiplier for engineers on the projects/squads.
- Collaborates and brainstorms with product managers to better understand the use cases and user journey.
- Actively participates in recruiting activities - training, interviewing, writing model score cards.
- Leads POC efforts in in-house or 3rd party integrations with Fraud services and vendors.
- Participates contributes to improving the recruiting process.
- Leads and conveys technical discussions cross functionally with Data, SRE, Security engineers.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- Ability to collaborate well and come up with technical vision for larger projects.
- Experience building high-performance systems in a distributed environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience navigating in a dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Previous experience with event streaming architecture
- Previous experience with real time fraud detection, and big data engineering, analytics is a major plus
- Previous Risk and Fraud Prevention experience a plus
Benefits & Perks
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and 80% for your dependents
• Company provided Basic Life and Short-Term and Long-Term Disability plans
• Generous paid parental and caregiver leave
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Unlimited PTO and generous company holidays
• Company laptop and home office stipend
• Personal financial advisor
Dave Inc is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not
discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national
origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical
conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital
status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable
federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance
Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.