Location: San Leandro, CA or Katy, Tx
Employment Type: Full-time
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex
challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our
pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions
that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a
game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business
advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in
multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy
Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across
California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available
globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI is seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time job opening
for the position of Principal Technologist (Mechanical), located in San
Leandro, CA and reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering. The R&D
department is a dynamic group of engineers and technicians with a wide range
of backgrounds, several of them holding PhD and Masters degrees. We are
looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive in a team
environment, lead R&D teams and projects for new technology/new product
The position requires a well-rounded expertise in design, analysis and
experimental validation of turbo machines and other high-pressure fluid
equipment. A sound knowledge base in mechanics of fluids and solids is
required. This position is responsible for hands-on development – component
design, analysis, prototype fabrication, experimental validation and
production release of rotating equipment such as pressure exchangers, pumps,
turbines, turbochargers etc. The candidate will spend the bulk of their time
working with a multidisciplinary team to develop disruptive technologies based
on our proprietary isobaric pressure exchangers, and the rest of the time
supporting and expanding our current product lines. The position also requires
strategic outlook for technology and products toward their commercial
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving fluid machines such as pressure exchangers, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, turbines, turbochargers etc.
- Lead / participate in the entire development cycle of a fluid machine including 1-D sizing (mechanical & hydraulic), engineering analyses, detailed design & layout prep, design/selection of rotor-bearing systems, seals & secondary flow paths, validation test rig development, experimental validation & release to manufacturing
- Leverage commercial tools such as SolidWorks for CAD, MatLab for 1-D/2-D analysis, ANSYS Mechanical for structural analysis, CFX/Fluent for hydraulic flow path design optimization etc.
- Design prototype validation test rigs, integrate sensors, controls, data acquisition hardware/software (LabVIEW based) to obtain high quality data, perform validation testing in the lab and support pilot/beta testing at remote field sites.
- Follow ERI/R&D processes such as RDF/PDLCM and drive rigorous design reviews / documentation at each phase
- Work with ERI business units in supporting and expanding current product lines
- Provide technical support to business, corporate development, manufacturing, quality & project engineering teams as needed.
- Other duties & projects as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years of relevant industry experience. Masters or PhD degree with emphasis on mechanics of fluids or solids highly desirable.
- Proficiency in commercial CAD packages such as SolidWorks required.
- Proficiency in design of hydrodynamic and hydrostatic bearings highly desirable.
- Familiarity with CFD analysis using ANSYS CFX/Fluent or Star CCM+ highly desirable.
- Familiarity with use of a commercial FEA tool such as ANSYS for structural analysis.
- Hands on experience with testing and experimentation, sensors/transducers, controls/data acquisition highly desirable.
- Experience with hydraulic design of rotodynamic & reciprocating fluid machines a plus.
- Experience with thermodynamics modeling, heat exchangers, compressors and design of HVACR equipment a plus.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work/lead in a team environment, under pressure, manage multiple tasks, and be goal oriented.
- Ability to oversee and execute on assigned projects from start to completion in a highly analytical, detailed and precise manner.
- Familiarity with engineering standards such as ASME/API/ANSI/NFPA etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.