Location: San Leandro, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex
challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our
pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions
that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a
game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business
advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in
multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy
Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across
California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available
globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI is seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time job opening
for the position of R&D Engineer, located in San Leandro, CA and reporting to
the Senior Director of R&D. The R&D department is a dynamic group of engineers
with a wide range of backgrounds, several of them holding PhD and Masters
degrees. We are looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive
in a team environment, support R&D efforts in new technology/new product
development as well as provide engineering support to enhance and expand
current product lines.
The position requires a sound knowledge base in mechanics of fluids and fluid
machinery. Expertise in use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to analyze,
design and optimize fluid machinery components & systems is required.
Experience with commercial CFD solvers such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent and Siemens
Star CCM+ is highly desirable. The candidate will spend bulk of his time
providing analytical and computational modeling support to various NTI/NPI
projects as well as support validation testing.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving fluid machines such as pressure exchangers, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, turbines, turbochargers etc.
- Develop analytical and computational fluid dynamics models to analyze fluid machinery designs, suggest ways to optimize design and predict performance over the full operating envelope.
- Leverage commercial CFD tools such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent and/or STAR-CCM+ to generate computational meshes, perform CFD analyses and post process results.
- Leverage 1-D & 2-D tools such as Matlab/Simulink/Simscape, ADT, Dyrobes etc.. to analyze and optimize designs.
- Develop validation test plans and work closely with testing team to confirm and validate model predictions. Use commercial and open-source software to process test data and draw physics based insights and inputs for models.
- Participate in the entire development cycle of a fluid machine including 1-D sizing (mechanical & hydraulic), engineering analyses, detailed design, DFMEA, design/selection of rotor-bearing systems, seals & secondary flow paths, validation test rig development, experimental validation, RCAs & release to manufacturing.
- Leverage commercial tools such as SolidWorks, ANSYS Mechanical for structural analysis etc., as needed.
- Develop validated semi-empirical performance models of ERI products for distribution to sales team and customers.
- Provide engineering support for product engineering and other business/corporate functions, when requested.
- Follow ERI/R&D processes such as RDF/PDLCM and allow for rigorous design methods / documentation at each phase.
- Contribute to development of validated design tools and design practices.
- Other duties & projects as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline) with 2+ years of relevant industry experience. An advanced degree in lieu of experience is acceptable provided the concentration is in the area of mechanics of fluids.
- Expertise in commercial CFD solvers such as ANSYS CFX/Fluent or Star CCM+ required.
- Proficiency in commercial CAD packages such as SolidWorks required.
- Familiarity with use of a commercial FEA tool such as ANSYS for structural analysis desirable.
- Experience with design, analysis and testing of rotodynamic & reciprocating fluid machines a plus.
- Graduate level course work in fluid mechanics, gas dynamics, thermodynamics and turbomachinery highly desirable.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, manage multiple tasks, and be goal oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.