Location: San Leandro, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Team: EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex
challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our
pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions
that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a
game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business
advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in
multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy
Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across
California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available
globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI has an immediate opening in the San Francisco Bay/Houston area for a
refrigeration, cooling design and development engineer with multidisciplinary
skills reporting to the Director of System design and reliability inside the
R&D department. The R&D department is a dynamic group of engineers and
technicians with a wide range of backgrounds. Department currently boasts 9
Phd’s and 6 masters. We are looking for talented and energetic candidates who
thrive in a team environment. This position is for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer
with project management responsibilities for assigned projects particularly in
refrigeration & cooling applications. The candidate will work in
multidisciplinary teams on clean-sheet designs to develop disruptive
technologies based on our proprietary isobaric pressure exchanges.
ERI is investing in developing refrigeration systems that incorporate energy
recovery devices to boost performance, particularly with natural refrigerants.
The successful candidate would be at the helm to drive this forward from
concept to implementation. This role and execution of its responsibilities
will have significant impact on ERI’s technologies and product portfolio in
the coming months and years and would affect the bottom line of the company
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Model refrigeration system using engineering calculations such as heat transfer, capacity, air flow, thermodynamics, etc.
- Optimize system design including condenser and evaporator configuration, selection and configuration of compressors, oil management, etc.
- Select appropriate components, identify appropriate refrigerant piping, determine ideal refrigerant and oil charge
- Rigorous and creative problem solving and troubleshooting of existing systems and proposed designs
- Interact with manufacturing and controls engineers to solve joint problems and address interaction points
- Design and execute test plans for component level and system analysis
- Guide the preparation of Front-end Engineering, Design, Drawings & Documents such as:
- Process Flow Diagrams, P & I Diagrams, Process Datasheets
- Equipment Specifications, sizing information for equipment (e.g. compressors, pumps heat exchangers, etc.)
- Cause & Effect Diagrams
- HAZOP Studies
- Reports, Operations, & maintenance manuals, etc.
- Necessary engineering inputs to the other disciplines and other departments.
- System Integration of equipment & controls
- Adhere to all company and standard refrigeration safety standards
- Work under minimal supervision.
- Review of documents, drawings, datasheets, specifications and calculations.
- Interface and collaborate with people skilled in other disciplines (mechanical, structural and electrical engineers), departments and Clients.
- Other duties & projects as assigned.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree or higher in mechanical engineering with focus on the science of thermal fluids.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in commercial refrigeration industry (10+ years is preferred). Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and/or related engineering discipline with minimum 12 years of professional experience in commercial refrigeration industry will be considered.
- Familiarity with transcritical refrigeration systems using R744
- Proficient in Thermodynamics Modelling, using vapor compression cycle.
- Capable of system and component level design including refrigerant selection based on its thermodynamics properties that operates over wide temperature ranges.
- Proficiency in steady state and transient simulation modelling using commercial tools such as Thermoflex, Aspen, TRNSYS or equivalent and refrigeration system design tools such as CoolPack, CoolTool, PackCalculationPro or equivalent to model system configuration and performance.
- Experience in new product development in the related field will be advantageous.
- Strong troubleshooting and research ability.
- Creative and practical problem solver to achieve set objectives.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and get things done in a timely and effective manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be a reliable team player committed to working in a quality environment.
- Motivated to learn and take on new challenges and learn a new technology.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to accomplish all commissioning tasks.
- Team work Interpersonal skills working with peers and management, providing mentorship to junior engineers, particularly on the topic of reliability
- Self-motivated and safety conscious
- Aware of cost effectiveness
Additional Incentives and Benefits
- Medical Insurance, Vision, Dental & 401K Plan Retirement Match.
- $1,500 Uncapped Referral Bonus.
- Free lunch provided daily.
- On-site gym.
- Certification and employee growth/training provided.
- Mental Health Awareness and Wellness Weeks provided to all employees.
- Amazing Company Culture and Ethics.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.