Employment Type: Full-time
Team: Finance & Accounting
Heartbeat Health is a venture-backed health tech startup in New York. We are
working to deliver the most effective, efficient, and engaging virtual heart
care in the world. By 2030, over 40% of the US population will have heart
disease, with direct and indirect costs approaching $1 trillion USD. Heart
disease may be the most important health crisis we confront in our time.
Heartbeat addresses this problem via virtual cardiology services that include
diagnostic interpretation, telecardiology, and procedural referrals to bring
virtual-first care to cardiology, and improve the outcomes and efficiency for
Our team consists of passionate and proven physicians, engineers, scientists,
designers, and founders attacking this problem from first principles, applying
human-centered design, and developing evidence-based AI to solve this global
issue. We collaborate with the American College of Cardiology, and we have
been recognized as one of the 150 most promising digital health startups by CB
Insights. We recently closed our Series B funding and are backed by Echo
Health Ventures, Optum Ventures, DaVita Venture Group, .406 Ventures, Kindred
Ventures, Lerer Hippeau, Designer Fund, and Max Ventures. We’ve been featured
in TechCrunch, CNBC, Fast Company, and Forbes.
The cardiology medical coder will be primarily responsible for review of CPT
and diagnosis codes assigned by the provider for accuracy according to payer
and regulatory guidelines prior to claim generation. This role is remote,
reporting into the Manager of Revenue Cycle.
This position will also work any denials related to coding accuracy including
bunded, non-covered, invalid diagnosis, modifier errors, etc.. The coder will
review medical documentation and work directly with the providers as needed
for additional information or clarification that will facilitate re-
submissions or appeals.
At times, the coder may be asked to directly educate the clinical team
regarding clinical documentation that needs improved to optimize clean claims
to minimize future denials, future requests for information, and optimize
timely and accurate collections. In addition, the coder may also be requested
to research new procedures or services that Heartbeat Health is considering in
About the Gig
- Review clinical documentation and code assignment by provider for accuracy and completeness. Make appropriate inquiries to the clinician as required to correct assigned codes prior to submission of claims to payers.
- Comply with medical coding guidelines including regulatory agencies such as CMS, Medicare, and Medicaid programs. Have knowledge of high-volume payers such as Aetna, United Healthcare, and Blue Cross/ Blue shield guidelines and contracts with Heartbeat Health. Effectively research guidelines that are unfamiliar to apply quality medical coding to the patient encounter.
- Research new payer guidelines and new service offerings as required, creating detailed documentation for constituents such as Athena, as the outsourced billing partner, internal sales team, financial team, and leadership as applicable.
- Maintain daily volume expectations for completion of coding within 24 hours of available encounters. Escalate appropriately to management when the goal can not be achieved with requests for assistance or update on when targets will be achievable.
- Monitor missing documentation (“missing slips”) and work with clinical operations to notify physicians, following communication protocol and escalation process.
- Maintaining and updating fee schedule for new and obsolete CPT HCPC codes
- Identify specific opportunities for improvement or clinical documentation and code assignment by provider. Provide documented feedback and education to the provider and monitor for improvement.
- Serve as the company's expert in coding matters, partnering with other departments (Operations, Clinical, Business Development, Product, Tech, HR, among others) coding practices, regulatory changes, and payer policies.
- Must maintain current knowledge regarding internal or external changes in coding and documentation guidelines and billing via internal or external discussion and or participation in training and seminars from such entities as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Appropriate use of internal and external tools and programs utilized Heartbeat Health for revenue cycle functions and reporting.
- Certified Professional Coder - Current Certification from an accredited organization such as AAPC or AHIMA
- 3+ Years’ experience with E/M and diagnosis coding for a mid to large size specialty physician group, cardiology preferred
- Expertise in assigning accurate medical codes for procedures and services preferably within the cardiovascular field
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, medical coding, and adherence to regulatory and payer guidelines
- Ability to understand, communicate, and manage to payer rule changes that impact coding and reimbursement
- Experience with Electronic Health Record (EHR), Athena Preferred
- Professional communication skills to interact at all levels within and outside of the organization
Why You'll Love Working Here
- We're mission-driven: we're revolutionizing the way cardiovascular care is delivered
- **Up for the challenge: **make a big impact by joining a fast-growing team in its early stages
- Great people: become a part of something incredible, and do it with an exceptionally talented, multidisciplinary team.
- **We care about diversity: **diversity allows us to build an excellent patient experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Opt into comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits
- Enjoy flexible leave policies
- Distributed team and remote friendly culture
In addition to finding people who are truly excellent at what they do, our
team is founded on a set of values we hold close to heart:
- Be amazing at what you do, without ego.
- Take ownership and be accountable to yourself and the team.
- Move fast with our stakeholders' best interests at heart.
- Be open to a breadth of ideas, but focused on delivery.
- Measure and improve what really matters.
- Be candid and honest with people.
- Demonstrate high integrity, always.
- Help others and appreciate those who help you.
- Be a kind and decent human.
- Have fun.
We are looking for an exceptional, experienced Certified Medical Coder. You’re
open to new ideas, thoughtful in your approach, pragmatic in your delivery,
constantly learning, and up for a challenge. You elevate the work of those
around you. You want the superpower to save millions of lives.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for
employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.