Location: United States
Employment Type: Full-time
WHO WE ARE
Lumos Labs is the industry leader in brain training. Since the launch of
Lumosity in 2007, more than 100 million users have trained their cognitive
skills by playing over 7 billion training games. We believe in helping people
keep their brains challenged through playful, meaningful experiences grounded
From neuroscience to art, we combine diverse disciplines to create a brain
training program that is both engaging and accessible — making cognitive
research available to everyone. We draw upon scientific research, user-
friendly design, and engagement with our user base to continuously improve our
product. Through the Human Cognition Project,
we collaborate with over 100 leading researchers and clinicians from
institutions around the world.
We’re committed to building upon our brand to become world leaders in digital
health and medicine.
**WE’RE LOOKING FOR **
Lumos Labs is looking for a backend engineer to join the Platform team where
we’re building a modern platform to support our products and unlock the
potential energy within all Lumos Labs engineers. We are building one of the
premier digital health brands and are looking for talented, mission-oriented
people to help us realize our goals.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- You will help create and clarify patterns and practices that enable engineers to build and ship new features for current and future products.
We believe leadership comes in many forms. This may include:
- Being responsible for a development project (service, library, etc.)
- Managing the development and delivery of a Platform feature that multiplies the efforts of all engineers.
- Partnering with adjacent teams to identify common blockers and implementing solutions that address them.
- With fresh eyes and your unique experiences, you will provide valuable perspectives on what we’re doing and where we’re going.
- Writing code, building systems, and helping to ship it all into the world, of course!
WHAT YOU HAVE
- Superb interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. -- In theory, you take time off without folks (or you) feeling they need to call you for help. In practice, you leave a coherent trail of documentation in places like your code (we love comments and READMEs) and architectural decision records (ADRs).
- Experience with Typescript is a bonus (we want to add some rigor to our code).
- Experience building and operating GraphQL APIs using tools like Apollo, PostGraphile, or TypeGraphQL.
- Knowledge of concepts like schema federation, custom data types and third-party offerings like Hasura is a bonus.
- Knowledge of design patterns such as microservices, serverless functions, or event-driven architecture.
- Knowledge of development patterns that support the above, such as monorepos, is a bonus.
- Familiarity with deployment options such as blue-green, continuous deployment (or delivery, in some cases!), and knowledge of how those can be implemented using support from tools like Gitlab, Github Actions, CircleCI, etc.
- If you can describe how your code gets shipped into the world, that’s a great start!
- Comfort managing cloud infrastructure using tools like Pulumi or Terraform (you’ll be collaborating with our SRE team that manages most of this).
These are tools or experiences we believe we need now but aren’t hard
requirements for the interview. We believe you can, and will, learn on the
WHAT WE OFFER
- Lumos Labs offers a wide range of competitive benefits for all of our full-time employees:
- The excitement and fun of an early-stage startup paired with the maturity and stability of a later-stage business with substantial revenue and company infrastructure.
- A remote-first culture, building a team that spans the Eastern-to-Pacific U.S. time zones.
- Competitive compensation packages, including salary and benefits on-par with later-stage companies, and equity options on-par with earlier-stage ones.
- Flexible time off throughout the year to rest, reset, and recharge, and an end-of-year holiday break.
- Generous company-sponsored medical, dental, and vision plans (options for individual, spouse and/or domestic partner, and family coverage).
- Continuous learning budget for conferences, professional and skill development – think Udemy Courses, Coursera and books.
- Monthly fitness, wellness, internet, coworking, and cell phone reimbursements.
Lumos Labs values diversity and recognizes that employees from a broad range
of perspectives improves both the practice of science and the brain training
experience for everyone. We are committed to inclusion, diversifying tech, and
advocating for diversity in our employees, their experiences, and the people
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any
employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age,
national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or
expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal,
state or local protected class.
Please review Lumosity's [California Job Applicant Privacy