Employment Type: Full Time
About One Concern
One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better
decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering
leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk. We believe that by pioneering
cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous and, ultimately,
build planetary-scale resilience.
**The Role **
One Concern is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a passionate, mission-
driven Senior Manager, Engineering to join our team.
You will be focused on building scalable systems that power global resilience
products. You will drive the technology roadmap and prioritize in conjunction
with the Product Managers, Business partners and Data Science teams so you
should have a good vision around both technology intricacies and product
You’ll oversee a talented team of engineers and help them to pursue their
passion and transform their careers. Your growth will come from building
strong leaders to whom you can effectively delegate, mentoring for peak
performance, defining clear roles and accountability, communicating clear
priorities and maximizing cross-organizational alignment. Your long-term
success will come not from a “command and control” style, but from “inspire
What You'll Do
- Manage and grow the engineering team.
- Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings and work with the team to achieve Objectives & Key Results (OKR’s)
- Support setting the mid and long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads and the leadership team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture and be a role model by demonstrating One Concern's core values
- Mentor, coach and grow team members and support them in their career growth
- Participate in code review and technical whiteboard discussions. Support trading off technical debt versus the pace of progress
- Triage and prioritize incoming tickets from fleet testing, assigning them to appropriate engineers
- Collaborate closely with leads and EMs working on different components across the autonomy system
Qualifications & Experience
- 2 - 6 years' experience overseeing and managing engineering/ or software development teams.
- Knowledgeable in a container-orchestration system such as Kubernetes or Docker
- Comfortable working in Agile methodology environments and helping reinforce best practices.
- Previous experience as a software engineer and a thorough understanding of engineering practices and principles in applications backend and frontend.
- Be a role model and professional coach for engineers. Help them realize their potential by setting clear expectations, openly evaluating performance, upholding accountability, and providing challenges (within and outside their team) to stretch their skills.
- Drive execution of product and technology roadmap by collaborating with a team, product management, software architects, infrastructure engineers, and machine learning experts.
- Build strong collaboration with partner teams such as Data Science, DevOps, Product, and Business.
- Create a collaborative work environment that fosters autonomy, transparency, innovation, and learning, while holding a high bar for craftsmanship.
- Ability to work with complex, production-quality systems and ability to give constructive code review comments
- Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles.
Nice to Haves
- MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching, and developing top engineering talent.
- Successful track record of managing small teams of engineers and project management skills.
- Experience with highly scalable, high throughput and distributed systems.
- Experience with and appreciation for data-driven systems.
- Experience in owning consumer-facing, mission-critical and data-heavy systems and working under SLA's on uptime and performance.
- Experience with production machine learning pipelines ranging from large-scale data collection, dataset creation, labeling, training, and real-time inference
- Nats Streaming
Compensation will be competitive with the market for this position and will
include equity consideration. We are an equal opportunity employer and value
diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race,
religion, color, natural origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status.