Employment Type: Full Time
Team: Data Science
About One Concern
One Concern brings disaster science together with machine learning for better
decision-making. We quantify resilience from catastrophic perils, empowering
leaders to measure, mitigate, and transfer risk. We believe that by pioneering
cutting-edge science, we can make disasters less disastrous and, ultimately,
build planetary-scale resilience.
**The Role **
One Concern is growing rapidly, and we are looking for a passionate, mission-
driven Senior Data Scientist, Wind Resilience to join our team. Help us
develop a global-scale resilience prediction model against natural disasters,
focused on wind resiliency. Apply technology and knowledge to enhance the
resilience of the business, community, and people.
What You'll Do
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Build and improve existing resilience prediction models
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date modeling skills (ML/statistical) and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions.
- Formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
Qualifications and Experience
- Ph. D. or MS in structural engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field.
- 2+ year of industry experience in risk modeling/assessment
- Strong background in statistics, probability theory, machine learning, and quantitative analytics (coursework or experiences)
- Domain knowledge of wind resilience modeling
- Experience in wind vulnerability model developments (machine-learning models or statistical models)
- Hands-on experience in performing data analytics for a large set of data
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Proficient in Python
Nice to Haves
- Experience in infrastructure vulnerability assessment
- Experience in the assessment of climate risks
- Experience in community resilience modeling
- Experience in large scale simulations
- Experience in catastrophe risk modeling
- Strong publication record
Compensation will be competitive with the market for this position and will
include equity consideration. We are an equal opportunity employer and value
diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race,
religion, color, natural origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, veteran status, or disability status.