Employment Type: Full Time
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in
the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and
transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except
you’re actually with your friends ** inside** the movie. We are creating
the future of entertainment by building towards the virtualization of physical
spaces and eventually becoming the _portal _to the Metaverse. We want
you be a part of our journey and help us make that a reality!
Since we launched in Hong Kong in 2017, we’re now live in 19 locations and 5
countries around the world (we’re the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore
on TripAdvisor, #1 VR place in China Shanghai on Dianping), and we’re quickly
expanding. As a growing company we are looking for leaders who want to
transform the entertainment industry and contribute to the cutting-edge
experiences we are creating. We take pride in the relationships we are
building within the community through innovation and providing a best-in-class
experience for our guests. The opportunities within Sandbox VR are endless and
we want you to be a part of this new world we are creating!
You can work remotely. The work location is flexible depending on your needs -
as long as there are some overlapping work hours available with our core team
in Hong Kong.
About the Job
As a Senior Sound Designer, you will be responsible for sound effects, mixing,
VO management, and music integration for all of our VR experiences. You will
work with our creative director, sound designer, and engineers to create
incredible audio which immerses our guests even deeper into our VR
experiences. You will have an opportunity to be part of an innovative
environment that embraces new and different technologies. We are a passionate
and enthusiastic team that loves VR and video games. We have created a group
of incredibly talented and passionate individuals who are genuinely empowered
to create and challenged to learn and grow. This means more opportunities for
you to unleash your creativity and grow your career.
- A Sound Professional: You insist on the highest quality audio, and your sound design is robust and emotive. You are a pro at mixing and mastering techniques and are a natural at using audio plugins.
- Tech Savvy: You are a creative first, but you have a strong understanding of the technical side of sound design and can use various tools to achieve the best results. You will need to understand spatial audio and use tools to make your sounds feel like they come from identifiable positions in 3D. If you can program or script effectively, this is also a plus.
- Risk Mitigation: You proactively foresee issues and needs before they occur to plan strategically and ensure the final delivery of sound assets/mix/voice is of the highest quality.
- Organized: You work efficiently and meticulously to keep files well-organized and consistent with naming conventions.
- Good Communicator: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be self-driven, a team player, and willing to learn.
- Game Audio Middleware Experience: You are experienced with Wwise or Fmod.
- Solution-Oriented: You are resourceful, a creative problem solver, and can use your skills and experience to solve issues with existing sound assets or find ways to record sounds as needed.
- Sound Designing, Editing, and Mixing: Your main focus is creating the audio for our experiences. You will create top-quality sound assets which immerse the player into the experience and provide excellent gameplay feedback. You will integrate the sound assets into the game and be responsible for the sound mix to create compelling audio for each experience. You will work together with directors to gain a strong understanding of the mechanics, narrative, and visuals so that you can design audio that benefits each experience.
- Voice Overs: You will also be responsible for helping with casting Voice Over talent, sourcing external studios, directing Voice Over recording sessions, editing and mastering the voice recordings, and implementing these recordings into each experience. You will also be called upon to assist with voice localization.
- Inventing and Collaborating: At Sandbox VR, we are pushing VR technology to the next level and believe audio will be a big part of that. You will use your skill-set and work with programmers to experiment with new techniques and ideas for our VR experiences. You also determine the best third-party audio plugins and tools with our technology. You will always be on the lookout for interesting technologies/sound design tools we can use to make our experiences even more immersive and engaging.
How you can impress us:
- 5+ years of experience in a game audio environment, with a thorough understanding of the game audio process (i.e., Sound Design for gameplay, Voice Over, Music Implementation, etc.).
- An experienced DAW user (Nuendo, Pro Tools, Reaper, etc.), capable of using various sound design tools/plug-ins.
- Having a solid understanding of multi-channel spatial-audio formats.
- Experience recording Foley; familiar with common sound libraries.
- You have significant Unity experience.
- Experience with version control such as Git.
- If exploring the possibilities of VR Audio technology is exciting for you and you’re eager to use your skills to push this industry forward. If you have given talks at games/VR industry shows or written articles about your craft, this is a great way you can demonstrate your understanding to us.
- You’ve already had the chance to work on VR projects, either professionally or as a hobby.
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here. We’d like to see at
least a CV or LinkedIn, and a short cover letter/email/blurb on why you are
the right fit for us.
WE ARE SANDBOX VR, AND WE INVITE YOU TO COME PLAY IN OUR SANDBOX (AND THINK
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color,
ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or
expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity