That said, tech is playing a big role in some of the ongoing breaking news in our country – which we’ll explore in our first story this week.
There’s startup magic in the making in Magic City right now as it continues to explode onto the national scene as a top tech ecosystem. Today’s email pulls back the curtain to reveal the secrets of Miami’s success while giving you a sneak peak at some of the other Unvalley tech hubs ready to blow up big (in the best way possible).
There are a few new $100 Million rounds, an interesting acquisition in the nonprofit tech sector, and announcements from some of the hottest startups in cities like Atlanta, Baltimore, Houston, and Indianapolis.
- 💻Big Tech vs. Insurrection
- ☀️Miami Heats Up
- 🔑More Unvalley Opportunities
THIS WEEK’S TOP STORIES
💻 Big Tech vs. Insurrection
- Facebook has stated it will remove content that includes the phrase “stop the steal.”
- Twitter has permanently banned Donald Trump from their platform. Facebook and Snapchat have blocked his access at least through Inauguration Day (January 20th).
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) suspended all services to the social network Parler, which was attracting a large community of pro-Trump users after Twitter’s ban on the President.
- As tensions remain high, officials in Washington D.C. have asked people not to travel to the area for the upcoming inauguration on January 20th. In response, Airbnb announced that they will cancel and refund D.C. reservations during the week of the event.
☀️Miami Heats Up
Miami’s getting hotter (pun intended). In the past month, the VC community has been abuzz with conversation about Miami – and it’s no wonder. Miami has been laying the groundwork for becoming a global tech hub for over a decade, and they’ve recently attracted their fair share of Silicon Valley CEOs and other heavy hitters.
Miami’s breakout success as a tech hub is a great example of ecosystems benefit from adopting a “rising tide lifts all ships” mentality.
Miami’s mayor, Francis Suarez, is 100% on board for this growing trend. Take a peek at his viral tweets expressing his support for entrepreneurs who want to relocate to the Magic City.
We’ve got over 100 Miami tech companies in our searchable Powderkeg Tech Culture Directory. Check it out today to find exciting new opportunities in this up-and-coming city.
🔑More Unvalley Opportunities
💥EXPLODING WITH OPPORTUNITY
Top fundings, acquisitions, and IPOs between the coasts.
- Stacklet, a startup that is commercializing the Cloud Custodian open-source cloud governance project, today announced that it has raised an $18 million Series A funding round.
- SalesLoft, a sales engagement platform, announced it has raised $100 million in a new round of funding, bringing its valuation to $1.1 billion.
- Springbot, an all-in-one e-commerce marketing platform built for small businesses, announced it has closed $14M in financing led by Sterling National Bank.
- Delfi Diagnostics, a pioneering developer of a new class of high performance, affordable liquid biopsy tests for early cancer detection, has raised $100 million in Series A funding.
- Kindful, a nonprofit software platform known for its best-in-class third party application integrations and online fundraising tools, acquired by Bloomerang, an Indianapolis-based donor management software firm founded in 2012. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- NuProbe, a genomics and molecular diagnostics company specialized in ultrasensitive sequencing panels, announced the closing of its oversubscribed $42M fundraising. The lead investors for this financing round are BioTrack Capital and Yonghua Capital.
- Boardable, an affordable board management software for Nonprofits has raised $8 million in a new round of financing. The investment came from Base10 Partners with participation from the company’s seed-stage backer High Alpha.
- HealthSnap, a company that created a remote patient monitoring and analytics platform for virtual chronic disease management, announced it has raised $4 million round of financing. The investment from Tampa-based Florida Funders brings the company’s total funding to $6.5 million to date.
STARTUPS STILL HIRING
Know someone looking for a new gig? The economy is unpredictable right now, but startups in the middle of the country are still hiring.
We have a few of our Top Powderkeg Picks below:
- Validity, an email success platform, is hiring an Account Executive, Content Marketing Manager, Sales Development Representative, Software Engineer, Senior Security Engineer, VP Engineering and VP Marketing Demand Generation.
- FreightWaves, a logistics media company, is hiring a Tech/Startup Writer, Sonar Account Executive, Site Reliability Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Senior Editor, Global Trade Tech, Media Sales Executive in Training, Maritime News Reporter, Manager of Business Development, Journalist, Driver Issues & Regulations, Front End Developer, Customer Success Manager, Business Development Representative, Audio Engineer in Training, and an Audience Development Manager.
- Validic, a technology platform designed to provide access to digital health data, is hiring Software Engineer II, Software Engineer, and Mobile Software Engineer II.
- hc1, the bioinformatics leader in precision testing and prescribing, is hiring a Service Delivery Manager, Sales Manager, Software Architect, VP Product Development and several engineering roles.
- analytic.li, a workforce analytics company that helps employers make better, data-driven decisions, is hiring a Full Stack Developer Indianapolis, Business Analyst, Application Developer, VP, Sales and Marketing, Sales Development Representative, Marketing & Communications Specialist, and Account Executive.
- Zylo, the an enterprise SaaS management platform, is hiring a Commercial Account Executive, Lead Software Engineer, Revenue Operations Analyst, and Senior Software Engineer.
- Branch Insurance, a bundled home & auto insurance powered by community, is hiring Sales Manager, Community Builder – Sales Agent, and Email Marketing Specialist.
- GadellNet, a team of exceptional IT experts, is hiring an Application Management Engineer, Client Site Engineer, Network Engineer, Onsite Systems Engineer, Service Desk Engineer and Strategic Sales Consultant.
- Blink UX, a user experience professional services consultancy, is hiring a UX Researcher, Sr. Mixed Methods UX Researcher, Senior Systems Designer, Research Director, Freelance UX Researcher, Freelance Design Technologist, UX Designer, Senior UX Designer, Senior Project Manager, Freelance Visual Designer, Freelance UX Designer, and Adobe Analytics Analyst.
- Kyra Solutions, a provider of government technology solutions, is hiring a .NET developer, Salesforce Architect, Desktop Technician, Salesforce Financial Consultant, Account Sales Executive, Tolling Solution Practice Leader, Java Developer, and Business Analyst.
- Upside Business Travel, a digital travel management platform, is hiring a Senior Full Stack Engineer, Full Stack Engineer, and an Assistant Controller.
This email was curated by Meg, Casey, Nichole, and myself from the Powderkeg team. These are just some of the amazing stories happening in the Unvalley.
Got 30 seconds? Share some interesting tech news with us by hitting reply to this email. The Powderkeg team will share the best stories in an upcoming virtual event, on social, or in a future email.
Let us know!
Were you forwarded this email? It’s free to sign up for our hand-curated newsletter, The Spark, delivered to your inbox each week with the tech news outside Silicon Valley you need to know. Sign up here!